Chapter Thirty-Four

Safe on his ship, deep in the belly of Nazarus, Lendar was finishing his workout. The intercom lit up with a familiar voice as he was pushing up his last set.

"Captain," Nazarus spoke. "As instructed, this is your ten-minute warning for faster than light speed drop. We are approaching Orion Sector."

Out of breath, he replied, "Thank you, Nazarus. Begin FTL drop sequence and wait for further instruction."

"Yes, sir."

Lendar rose from the bench and made his way to his quarters to clean up. After his shower, he put on his old flight pants, a black shirt, and long coat. His boots were made for walking on steel grates and would do fine wherever he went. They were comfortable and light, and the soles never wore out. His trusty gun was holstered into position on his left side, and then he was ready to dock.

He sat in the cockpit, gazing out into space as the stars streaked by. They formed a kind of tunnel around his ship. At these speeds, everything and nothing could be seen all at once. The effect was peaceful yet unsettling at the same time.

"Nazarus, give me a count."

"Ready for drop in ten seconds," Nazarus replied, "nine..."

Lendar made some adjustments on the control panel, readying the ship for FTL drop.

"...five, four, three, two, one."

In an instant, the stars stopped soaring by, and off in the distance appeared a single planet and the cool sun, Ambrosia, shining deep green rays from its surface. There it was: Port Luness. Drifting in orbit about the planet with her top tilted towards the sun. Lendar took control of the ship from Nazarus and made his way towards her.

Port Luness was a huge space station, capable of hosting dozens of IPAC star ships and hundreds of personal spacecraft like Nazarus, though not as advanced. Port Luness was a popular vacationing destination as well, with all the comforts of a tropical vacation. At the apex of the station was a clear dome five kilometers wide and two tall, housing a plush artificial rain forest, complete with rivers, lakes, and beaches.

Port Luness orbited the storm planet Zunda, providing a continuously awesome view of the electrical storms erupting on its surface. The cracking sounds of electrical strikes and thunderous booms on the planet were broadcast through the sound systems for an exotic encounter with the deadly storms below.

"Nazarus, bring out Night's Page, upload package to Port Luness's station database, and hail Docking Sector Nineteen A."

"Yes, sir," Nazarus replied. Outside on the hull, where Nazarus was etched, the panel recessed into the ship's hull and was replaced by a panel that read Night's Page. Three other locations on the hull were also exchanged with the new name, including a new tail number. While Nazarus was changing her name, she also sent files to Port Luness, updating the networks with legal registration of Night's Page as an IPAC-approved and safe vessel, including a reservation to dock in Sector Nineteen A.

"Request completed, sir. Docking Master Doc Sams online."

"Docking Master Doc Sams here, calling Night's Page. Come in."

"Champ Jones, Captain of Night's Page here. Requesting permission to dock in Sector Nineteen A. I believe you have my reservation."

"That is confirmed, Jones. Go ahead. Proceed to Docking Sector Nineteen A. Your dock is Nineteen A34. Repeat one nine A three four. Confirm."

"Got it, docking at one nine A three four," said Lendar.

"Take it home. Welcome to Port Luness."

"Thank you, Master Doc Sams."

Over the next ten minutes, Lendar maneuvered his ship to his specified docking station. As he closed in, he observed hundreds of worker drones and maintenance ships buzzing all around the outer shell of the station. Even the outer sector of the station was as busy as a city on a planet. Navigation lights and signs were everywhere, directing different workers and visitors to various locations.

The approach was relatively easy. Outside his dock, Lendar placed his ship on the cradle arms and shut down his engines. The pod doors opened sideways, and the arms pulled him inside, the doors closing again behind him. A moment later, the cradle turned his ship around to face the door, and a large red light turned green, signaling the pod had pressurized and he could disembark when ready.