Chapter Fifty-Two

For Chase and Paira, it seemed like only a moment before they awoke to throbbing headaches. The cargo bay door was open again, and there were people standing at the edge, facing them. Fresh air blew a small whirlwind into the huge cargo hold, lightly taking dust and garbage in circles. It was a nice feeling, but the thought of dealing with Braider and his crew sickened Paira still. However, as she slowly sat up, she realized the silhouettes in the doorway, shadowed by the light outside, didn't look quite how she expected.

"Will you two lazy bums get up? We got work to do!" a voice said, but it didn't sound like Braider. The group approached them and helped them to their feet, then set them against a nearby pallet. Chase was still out, and someone slapped his cheeks, trying to wake him. When he didn't budge, someone jabbed a shot of adrenaline into his arm.

Paira could barely see. Making out any contours of a face was next to impossible. She knew the voice, though, and that gave her hope.

"Dom?"

"Yeah, kiddo," he replied softly, happy to see her alive. "You're crazy if you think I'm gonna let you come to Arboria without me."

"How did you find us?" Chase said, waking to an intense awareness. The adrenaline raced through his veins, his chest burned. "And what happened to you, Dom?" he added, remembering he was angry with the man.

"I can explain more later but for now, just know that Tommy and Scrat can't tie anyone up for damn. Plus, they accelerate slow," Dom said. "We gotta get out of here, though. According to the launch master, Braider and his crew left a couple hours ago. They should be back anytime now. My guess is they'll be returning right over there with a boat."

Dom pointed out the cargo bay door at a small wooden pier off in the distance past the launch pad area. Chase looked, but the bright sun was far too intense.

"We figured we'd come get you before they came back. That is, if you get off your butts and stop takin' naps!" said Halak.

Dominic grabbed Paira's hand and Scout grabbed Chase's, then they hauled the duo to their feet.

"Let's get on with it," said Dom as he headed towards the door.

They all started to follow, when Chase interrupted, "Wait. I need my pack." He stumbled up the stairs to the mezzanine, still wonky from the tranquilizer, and disappeared into the ship.

It turned Chase's stomach hustling deeper into the ship while the threshold for Arboria was only a few meters away in the other direction. However, it gave him a moment to think and consider things. Braider still had the map. Was he really willing to part with it like this? Who knew when or if he'd see Braider again, and he was sure he needed to put it back in the box with the disk and he was back with his crew. It was a full crew with one more member than Braider's. Chase knew that now was the opportune moment to get the map back.

Before long he reappeared with his gear in the pack hooked on his shoulder. Everyone started out the cargo bay door when it began to close.

"Hurry!" yelled Paira. "Before it closes!"

Everyone started, but stopped short by a commanding howl from up on the mezzanine. "Wait!" Chase yelled. They all turned to see him up there with his hand on the cargo door controls.

"What are you doing?" yelled Dominic up to Chase. For the first time he looked like a leader as he was perched up on the mezzanine and he felt like one. He was looking down upon them with a grin that spoke of confidence and readiness for battle.

"They don't know we're all here," he said calmly.

"What are you talking about? We should get out of here," said Scout.