Chapter Thirty-Three

Chase was able to sneak in his normal morning workout in the confines of his bunk but after he finished, Kanor and Severine entered his room with force.

"Sit down," Kanor commanded. Chase sat on his bed, paying close attention. Kanor grinned when he spotted the corner of the map peeking out from Chase's pocket. "We're making a stop to finish up our previous job before we head on to where your map is taking us."

Chase expected this but in the heat of the moment he was confused about how to act. Through trying to figure that out, he only looked worried. He did wonder if his fighting ability would kick in if he attacked Kanor right now, but recanted the thought when Kanor nodded at Severine, clearing her to do what they had planned. She walked over to Chase and reached for the map.

"Wait-" Chase recoiled, but she quickly pinned his leg down and took the map. "You know you can't use that without me," Chase said to her.

"Yes, we know," said Kanor. "We also know that you need us to take you wherever you're going, so here's what's going to happen." Severine walked back over to Kanor and handed him the folded map. "After today's jump, you're going to come with us." He held up the map. "I'll hold onto this so you don't get any crazy ideas. Understand?"

Chase nodded, showing a complacent understanding but really he was thinking, jump day. I've been waiting for this day.

Kanor raised a cupped hand behind his ear. "What's that? I couldn't quite hear you."

"Yes, understood," Chase said.

"Good, now prepare for the jump. We go in fifteen minutes. Get your duties done and find Snitch. He'll get you tucked in for the jump."

They walked out of the bunk, and Kanor called back again from the hallway, "Hurry up, boy!"

Perfect. He was planning on sneaking down to The Hole before the jump but now that they expected him to go, there was no need to be sneaky.

Chase got ready to leave. Not ready to leave this bunk for a little while. Ready to leave this crew for good. He put on his cargo pants, boots, and shirt, and then he packed his backpack with all his belongings. When he tucked his shirt in, he noticed for the first time his belly was slimmer and had to use the next notch in his belt. The workouts and space food had been changing his body. Somehow it made him feel taller.

He made his way to The Hole, but not without stopping by the small room where he'd sit for the jump. He stuffed his pack in a small compartment in the corner of the room and left.

Rage grew in his chest again, and the marking flared up with the usual burning sensation. It glowed under his shirt as he entered The Hole, with enough light that he put away his flashlight.

Chase performed his duties diligently in the sanitation sector, and just as he was finishing, just before he closed the main dump valve that sent the waste out into the cold and black, he recited Snitch's words.

"Ne'er leave da'one open. E'rything freeze."

Chase knew it was a dangerous move, but he only had five minutes left before the jump, so he regarded it as his only option and told himself, it's a good plan.

He left the main valve halfway open.

He figured the freezing would happen fast, and since the jump happened in the span of minutes, they'd be at Esandrea ready to repair a hull breach. He hoped there would be enough freezing of the steel at the hull that during planet atmosphere entry, there would be enough damage to warrant a trip to a repair dock, but not so much as to render them in serious trouble. His plan was for Kanor to be forced to change his plans and head straight to a repair dock.