Chapter 12

TRIGGAR WARNING. THE SECTION IS MARKED WITH "********" AND ENDS THE SAME WAY. PLEASE STAY SAFE AND READ WITH CAUTION.

The words float through your head along with the rhythmic beat of Tyler's heart. You grasp at his shirt and squeeze it into a tight ball. He is alive and so are you.

Today, Tyler was going back to his own house. He had mentioned how he wanted to try and live a normal life again, how he missed his piano, how he missed the silence of his own home. Even if his home didn't feel like home to him. He was giving it a chance.

You feel his muscles tense against his bones, and he begins to shift awake. His hand sleepily runs through your hair while he hums a mindless melody. He pulls you closer before fully waking up.
"I- sorry." He tries to explain himself. You're gently pushed away from his chest, and into the barren cushion next to him.

"I used to sleep with Jenna like that. She liked to be woken up with my singing the first thing she heard." He explains with an empty smile. After sitting up, he scratches the back of his neck and goes into the spare bedroom to grab his things.

You were anxious about him living on his own. When he was alone, it was when he was the worst. People like Tyler tend to block out how their mind takes over. When he's alone, he loses control easier and ends up harming himself in some way, or ignoring the needs of his body.

"Are you sure you'll be okay?" You trail behind him through the apartment like an imprinted duckling. You stop in your tracks when you realize how needy you're seeming.

"(Y/n)," he turns and smiles, "I'll be fine."

After packing up the last of his things, he turns and gives you a hug before walking out the door.

"Thank you for everything you've done. It's meant the world to me. I'm ready to be home."

He gives you one last smile before shutting the apartment door, as well as the door to your sunshine.

Your heart begins to feel empty and you feel numb and alone. The world loses its colour as you stand there, listening to the whir of the air vents. You don't know when you would see Tyler again. A forever-falling feeling settles into your stomach. "He'll be fine." You assure your weary thoughts.

Instead of worrying about it, you try to get ready for work.

~

It had been a few weeks since Tyler stayed the night at your apartment. Josh called often, and told how Tyler was doing better. He talked about how Tyler's heart was healing, and how they were recording in the studio. Josh was taking care of him and making sure he was okay.

Tyler personally hadn't called you, and you hoped Josh was telling the truth. You knew Josh wouldn't lie to you, but Tyler was good at hiding his thoughts, and Josh had been seeing Debby a lot more. You texted Tyler just to remind him that you were always here, and your door was always open. He replied with a simple, "thanks."
~

It's been three weeks since you'd seen Tyler. You grab your keys and purse off of the counter, just as your phone buzzes. Josh's icon comes up and you greet him kindly.

"(Y/n). You need to come to Tyler's house. Now." He sounded as if he had been crying.

Your heart drops as you run to your front door.

"He promised. He promised. He promised he would be okay."

Tears begin to prick at your eyes as you push through the entrance to your apartment.

"I can't lose him. He promised. He promised."

The keys bring your car to life, and you urge it to go forward towards Tyler.