Chapter Seven | The Scars

London seemed relatively quiet today for a change, the bustling city seemed less stifling as Anna drove us to some undisclosed location. I tried unsuccessfully to guess where she was taking me so in the end I gave up and let her take control. Anxiously I played with my hair and gazed out of the passenger window trying to think of something to say. Full disclosure, I still felt inferior to this woman and I still wondered why she was spending her valuable time with me.

"Lauren?" Anna called, pulling me out of my own head.

I jumped out of my skin slightly but recovered myself and faced her. "Uh, yes?"

With her eyes still focused on the road she grinned. "I was calling your name for a while, you ok?"

"I'm fine." I lied, smoothly. "I was just wondering how long this date will be if you have rush back to your meeting thing."

Anna chuckled. "The date can be as long as you want it to be, the rest of my day is pencilled out and so is yours."

"Why?"

We stopped at some red lights and Anna finally looked at me for the first time since she started driving. God, it's funny how much I missed seeing her eyes in that short space of time. "It's kind of a surprise, in fact you have the rest of this week pencilled out." She admitted, a hint of mischief laced in her voice.

I smirked. "What are you up to?"

The light turned green so Anna focused on the road once again, ignoring me with a smile on her face.
"Hey that's not fair! Why do you always keep me in the dark about everything?" I huffed.

She still had that irritating smile on her face. "When we stop you can ask as many questions as you like and I will answer them."

I rolled my eyes. "Fine, I will."

We carried on a light easy conversation until we pulled up into a rather average neighbourhood, no restaurants were in sight and it was definitely not the place I envisioned Anna to live. Where were we?
My boss pulled into a carpark adjacent to a three story building, the place seemed a little rough around the edges and for a second I felt a flash of anxiety.

Anna placed her hand on my leg. "What's wrong? You look stressed."

"Where are we?" I asked, trying to ignore the warm feeling on my leg where her hand was ghosting.

At that moment Anna did the most adorable thing I had ever seen her do. She grinned the most excitable dorky grin before whispering. "This is my secret hideout."

I laughed. "You're secret hideout? What are you, Batman?"

"That's Batwoman to you." She teased.

I smiled at her. "Seriously though why are we here? This doesn't exactly look like what I imagined one of your many properties would look like."

Anna shook her head. "That's why it's such a good secret place, no one would expect to find me here and when I want to be alone this is where I come to. And besides." Anna paused and bit her lip, seemingly nervous. "This place is the most me place I could take you to, I actually grew up here."

My mouth open and then closed. Naturally I just assumed Anna was born into wealth but apparently not. Her lower lip trembled, as if she was already regretting disclosing this personal information. I quickly laced her hand in mine and offered her a reassuring smile. "In that case I couldn't think of a more perfect place to get to know you better. That's what people do on dates, right?"