Chapter Thirteen | Little Boy

Lauren

The hospital was exactly what I expected, the standard off-green walls, a chorus of beeps from the various monitors across the wards, and of course that over clean antibacterial smell. I didn't like hospitals that much, or at all for that matter, but I was here for Anna. She needed me.
I waited by her side as she spoke to the woman on reception to find out where her father was. From the urgency and the tone of her voice I could tell she was agitated, and nervous, but that was understandable. The relationship between her and her father was strained to say the least. I wanted to do something to show my support, to hold her together. My eyes flickered to her hand closest to me, clenched into a fist. How I wanted to lace my fingers with hers and give her hand a reassuring squeeze, but I couldn't, there was to many people there. I bit my lip and looked at Anna's face, trying to think of some way to make myself useful. I could see her licking her lips and clearing her throat quite often, maybe she was thirsty.

When the receptionist turned away to type something into the computer I leaned forward and placed my hands on Anna's waist. Making this seem just friendly was hard, but I needed to touch her. Resting my head on her shoulder I spoke into her blonde hair. "Do you want some water?"

It was a pathetic offering really, but non the less I caught her giving me a light smile. "Yes, thank you."

As I moved away I gave her hips a light squeeze and walked over to the water cooler on the other side of the room. There were people sat on chairs waiting, old, young and everyone in between. I tried not to look and stare or be nosey, I knew first hand that hospitals were filled with people suffering and I didn't want to gawk. Bending down I grabbed two plastic cups from the dispenser and began filling them.

"Is that your girlfriend?" I heard someone ask.

In record time I span around to see who had caught me off guard. But I couldn't see anyone, so I looked down and there was a little boy stood looking up at me, smiling. He was adorable, with a mop of blonde hair and bright shining green eyes. He was dressed in dungarees and a black t shirt that read "mummy's little angel". He certainly was.
I suddenly remembered he asked me a question. "Sorry?"

His cute little smile got bigger. "Is the other pretty lady your girlfriend?" He asked innocently.

How observant is this child? I thought.

I opened my mouth to deny it but one look at that little face and I couldn't do it. No one could lie to a child like this one.
Bending down, carefully because I had two full cups of water in my hands, I spoke quietly. "What's your name cutie?"

"Max." He said proudly. "What's yours?"

I smiled. "Lauren, lovely to meet you Max."

Max grinned toothily at me and he held out his small hand for me to shake. I shook it, amused at this little guy. "Now, I'll tell you the truth but you've got to promise me you'll keep it a secret ok?"

He nodded seriously. "I swear."

"Ok." I breathed. "Yes, but it's complicated."

As soon as I confirmed it Max's face grew into such an adorable smile. "That's good."

I looked at him, confused but smiling. "Why?"

"Because you look in love." He told me. "And you look at each other the way my Mummy's used to do."

So that's why this little boy was so forward thinking, he grew up with two mum's. I caught onto his last words though, and I noticed the sadness on his face. "Used to do?" I repeated.