ı 10 ı 1864 {3}

PART TEN; CHAPTER THREE: THE FALL

BLAIR POV

My mind keeps trying to persuade me out of the choice I am about to make. The last time I snuck out on James, I had myself killed quite literally.

I lay there beside him in the forest while Lexi spies around town, trying to decide if the move I am about to make is the right one. I know deep down that what I am about to do is wrong, but I also know that if I don't do something I will live with this guilt forever. If I don't go and my brothers end up being dead, I will never forgive myself. I would rather save myself from an eternity of guilt and misery and take a chance. I feel confident in my vampire abilities thanks to James that I will be able to handle myself.

I don't want to hurt James, as I really do love him. He is my first and only love, and I want to protect him from everything. I just know that I have to do this for myself, for my brothers. I feel confident if it were the other way around, James would do anything to make sure his sister was okay too.

I lay beside him, listening to his breathing. I feel confident that he's in a deep enough sleep once his breathing gets shallower that he won't hear me go. Slowly and effortlessly I ease up and out of the small shack, entering the woods.

I glance back for only a second, knowing if I think too long I will change my mind. "I love you," I whisper, before sprinting through the forest in the dead of night.

I run unlike I have ever run before, speeding with my newfound vampire strength through the forest. I reach my house in no time, all the lights turned off except for one room: my father's office.

Although I know I haven't been invited in, I had my good friend Emily Bennett who I learned only a week ago was a witch pull some strings for me. She had the deed to the house transferred to me, and seeing as I'm already a vampire I am automatically invited in.

I feel a ping of guilt spring through me, thinking about how I went behind James's back and signed the deed of the house over to myself. I obviously thought long and hard about my plan, and it hurt me every second to keep that secret from him.

Pushing the thought aside, I slowly make my way up the stairs and down the hall, standing in front of my father's office.

"Father?" I ask, peaking into his office door.

He stands from his chair, his eyes wide as if he's seen a ghost.

"Blair? Oh my, we've been looking for you for a week. Where have you been?" he bellows angrily. Here I thought he would be happy to see me. I don't know why I always have my hopes up for him.

I have tears in my eyes for which I know what I am about to tell him is going to come as a surprise. I find myself second guessing myself, wondering if it's too late just to run away. I have no idea how to explain to him what I have become. How do you tell your vampire hunting father that you are now a vampire?