Chapter 3

The hunter sniffed. Eyes blearily opening as a delicious scent filled his senses.

Humans...

He blinked again in the soft morning light, stiffly turning his head towards the scent.

The humans were back?

Faint sounds of running horses and zipping vines filled his ears and he woke in earnest, standing tall. For a moment he considered running to them but then he looked down at his body.

Right... Titan... they would try to kill him on the spot. Humans didn't like titans... understandable really. The hunter nodded to himself; he knew what to do.

Within minutes the small bare chested hunter flew high in the tree tops, following the unmistakable fragrance of humans, stopping only when he heard the familiar whizzes and clangs of the black vines moving much closer to him.

Hiding behind a thick branch, he watched as the green cloaked humans slowly make their way through His forest far below.

Why are they so close to the ground? Why aren't they using the branches to help with their speed and movement? He thought as he squinted at the humans in confusion. They'll use up all of their silver air if they carry on like that... oh that's why they're moving so slowly, he decided as he watched them fly through his home.

Well they needed to move faster. If he could smell them, with his subpar sense of smell, the other Titans definitely could.

If they hadn't already, he thought as the honeyed scent of fresh blood wafted through with a soft northern wind.

Pulling up his hood, a fresh wave of anger and rage overtook him, driving him forwards after the humans when he saw the lumbering horde of Titans following them. He slowed his pace, waiting for the right moment, then propelled himself up as high as he could and barrelled down, spear spinning and shining in the faint light.

Down he went, faster than the eye could track, cutting deep into the largest's neck with the tip of his weapon, ignoring the ribbons of flesh blooming in his wake as he used the momentum and spear to vault onto the next Titan's outstretched arm.

It was another large type, chest deformed and twisted to its right side. This made no difference to the hunter though as he flipped backwards over its too large a head, slicing and hacking through flesh and bone, using the spear as an anchor as he spiralled round its neck.

He jumped off, using his vines to get to a larger height before rapidly spinning mid-air, changing direction and harshly cutting down on the third (medium type) Titan's neck.

"Look! The Commander came to save us!"

"Wait..."

"What is he using? That's not a titan blade,"

"That's not the Commander! He's too short,"

"Who is that?!"

He ignored the human's noises again, concentrating on bringing down the last two Titans, who seemed to have finally noticed him. Growling and hissing, the hunter leapt from the dissolving corpse onto the thing's outstretched arm. He ran along it and jumped up high when it brought its jaws forward, to where he was a split second before, with an echoing clack.

"Watch out!" Came one of the human voices a second too late.

The hunter, again, ignored them; jumping on the titan's bald crown and sliding down the back of its neck, spear carving a deep jagged line as gravity did its work.