Chapter 15

Gravel and stones became dislodged beneath my heels. They bounced down the slope in the moonlight. Tonight, high tide prevented me from wading around by way of the ocean. Scrambling down, hands grabbing rock, I descended the steep incline. Two-hundred and thirty-two hand and footsteps. Lucky.

I arrived at the tiny inlet where the boat lay. Now I understood what I'd face to get the vessel out to sea. Even with the tide high, the water just barely lapped up against the boat's prow. However, the tide would be higher in a few days. Right around the time the ship would pass. If I was ever going to manage to get this boat out, it would be then.

Hands on hips, I surveyed the craft, allowing myself to take her in. "Okay, what do I need to do to get you seaworthy?" It felt good to have a boat of my own, even if she didn't float yet.

Despite living on an island my entire life I knew little about nautical maintenance. That kind of task didn't come easily the way numbers and arcane symbols did. Plus, few islanders took boats out onto the ocean. The rocks were treacherous, currents too unpredictable. Only Cunningham, Ben, and sometimes Chloe's brother, Carlson, when he helped. Cunningham's boat was old. Older than the boat that had washed up on shore. They often needed to make repairs. But I'd never paid much attention.

This boat had no obvious signs of damage. I slung off my sandals and hopped over the side. At least three inches of cool water sloshed between my toes. An old plastic pail sat in the bottom and I bailed water. It took longer than expected.

As I worked on the repetitive task, my mind relaxed. I fell into a rhythm. Every slosh of water into the sand brought me closer to my new adventure. It didn't mean I couldn't come back. I'd visit. I pictured myself with the boy I'd seen on the Song of the Seas. Maybe we'd have children. I mean of course we would. 

We'd have a boy and a girl. No, two girls and one boy. The eldest girl would be named Priscilla, the youngest Darcy. And the boy? Daniel. I'd name him after Daniel. We'd come back and visit with gifts from the Outlands. Maybe the Outlands would be better than Marlow said. Or if they were bad, we'd endure and tell stories of survival. Possibly we'd live on the ship for good. Zipping down the giant slide into the pool and drinking pink lemonade served from silver trays. Lemonade served with lots of sugar.

Yes, that seemed a good life. Living on a ship as big as that wouldn't be that different from living on Alabaster Island. I'd adapt, I'd fit in. So wrapped up in the fantasy, I continued to scoop when there was no water left to remove. Just a slight coating that evaporated in the cool night air. Pausing, I sat back on my haunches. That's when a prickle traveled up my spine.

I spun around. The mermaid girl was near, watching. I felt her. I scanned the water. On my left, rocks and vegetation lay thick near the water's edge. Darkness clung to the silver, moonlit shore. Movement caught my eye. 

"Hello? Are you there?" I called, my voice competing with the ocean swell. No answer. Stillness. "I won't ask any dumb questions!" I said. Nothing but waves splashing against rocks. I turned back to the boat, uneasy.

I'd done the easy part. Now what? The boat's keys still sat in the ignition. I hopped out to the sand. One propeller appeared damaged. Bent and mangled. My knowledge of boats was too limited to know if this was a severe problem. I didn't need to travel far. Only far enough to get near the large ship so they could bring me on-board. In fact I wondered if I might row the boat without the engine if necessary. 

I gave the boat an exploratory push. Heavier than I thought, but it might be possible. Anyway, the propellers had clearance just in case the boat started. Wishful thinking, but perhaps for a change my luck would be good.

Tapping the hull three times for luck, I leapt back in and turned the key. Nothing. Not even a small click. I got back out and continued my inspection. Down on the shadowed side, I lay on the sand to inspect the hull. It was difficult to see in the dim light, but my heart saddened at what my fingers felt. There were large gashes in several places. 

One hole was bigger than an inch and there were a bunch of smaller gaps. I stood up and chewed on a hangnail. I knew they used special materials to fix fiberglass. Now I had to find some.

***

You can buy this book and future books in the 'Mermaid Curse' series on Amazon and other online stores. Join my newsletter at https://www.mskaminsky.com and get the full version of 'Alabaster Island' for free right now in e-reader format.