The Moment That I Realized the Truth About Happily Ever After

Jesus that thats a long title

"Zane Ro'Meave and Travis Valkrum!" The announcer yells.

Despite my anger and sadistic mindset, I burst out laughing. I thought Zane didn't come though!

I see a blushing Zane and a shocked Travis make their way up to the stage. Someone yells, "BUT THEY'RE BOYS!"

"HUSH IT!" I yell back.

The door opens behind me and someone almost knocks me over. "AGH OW!"

"Sorry Y/N!" A familiar voice apologizes.

The person picks me up and I kick my legs around, "H-HEY PUT ME DOWN!"

I look up and see Gene. "Calm down! It's me Y/N."

"Oh," I sigh.

"Y/N I'm sorry about Zenix.."

I wrap my arms around him tightly, "It's not your fault."

"I know you just-"

"Hey, let's not talk about this now. My brother just got voted Prom King with Travis."

He busts out laughing, "THATS GOLDEN!"

I wiggle out of his arms. "I'm gunna go watch them dance. Wanna come?"

"Nah, there are more beautiful things to watch from behind." He winks.

I roll my eyes and walk into the crowd.

I watch them dance for a while and get lost in the crowd. Geez, I thought getting lost at Walmart was bad..

I finally locate Gene. He's sitting on the stairs by the door looking at the ground. I stare at him, trying to figure out what he's thinking.

He looks up and eventually sees me. I walk over to him.

He laughs, "I saw you watching me. Pictures last longer, ya know."

"Sorry!" My face turns red.

He laughs again and hugs me, "It's alright. I know you think I'm hot."

My face turns red. "Get over yourself Gene!" I joke.

He rolls his eyes and smiles hugging me tighter.

It was at that moment that I realized... I don't need to be the one who everyone knew. I didn't need to be super smart. I didn't need to be special. Heck, thats a good thing because I most certainly am not any of those things. I just needed to surround myself with these people who I knew and loved. I needed friends. I have friends, I think?

I look up at Gene, "You know, I could stay here forever."

He looks down at me and nods, "Me too."