• t w e n t y • f o u r •

Dina

Amity talked my ear off well into the morning, and I loved all of it. Until now, I didn't realize how much we used to hang out. The two of us used to spend every waking second together. As we sat here, with ice cream and her talking about how a guy at a restaurant kept insisting she was his ex-girlfriend that cheated on him with his brother, I missed her terribly. She kept me distracted all night, I don't remember when we fell asleep. All I know is that I was jolted awake at the sound of the door closing. Amity was draped over the arm of the couch, her legs reaching my side. My legs rested atop hers and I had fallen asleep across from her.

I shook her awake, knowing Farouz would feel uncomfortable if he walked in on her sleeping. When I was sure she was awake, I left her rubbing her eyes on the couch and went to greet him. "Salam," I whispered. Noticing his struggle to get his shoes off, I knelt to help him. It was three in the morning, and I had a million questions. But for now I settled with the satisfaction that he was home safe.

He gave no reply, but let me help him. When I stood back up Farouz pulled me into a long hug without words. He smelled like sweat, hospital, and slightly like pastries. For a second I wondered where he went, but I focused instead on where he was now. When we reluctantly pulled apart, I heard Amity shuffle off the couch. She attempted to fix her ruffled hair without much success, and smiled sheepishly when she saw us looking at her, "hey Farouz, how're you feeling?"

My husband leaned on me slightly and gave her a tired smile, "I'm alive."

She let out a small laugh, "and I'm really freaking glad you are! Well, I'll get out of your hair now."

Amity made a move for the door but Farouz shook his head and extended his arm to block her, "it's late out. Stay here tonight, in the guest room." My friend attempted to decline politely but he said, "please, I insist. Dina, make sure she stays please. And give her something to sleep in?"

Farouz didn't wait for me to reply before excusing himself and walking timidly through the house and into our room. I looked over at Amity and gave her a pointed look, she sighed and turned towards the guest room, knowing no way could she overcome me and my husband in one go. After fetching her something to sleep in and wishing her goodnight, I filled a glass with water and went to Farouz.

He stood in front of the mirror with his shirt pulled up to his abdomen, examining the bruising left by his ribs and the scar just below that. When he saw me he quickly tried covering up his act by trying to take his shirt off. That didn't go very well either, Farouz let out a painful groan and rolled his eyes at himself, "I'll just sleep like this," he mumbled, ambling to the bed in his dirty T-shirt and jeans.

I walked up to him, "what's a wife for if not to undress you?" Farouz's eyes widened and he laughed; then, rather sheepishly, he lifted his arms up as far as he could and let me take his shirt off for him. I paused when I saw his wounds, "do they hurt?" I asked, then, "stupid question, of course they do. Uh... can I?" He nodded, and I gingerly ran my hand over the stitches, careful not to hurt him. I didn't know what to say, they looked painful and I felt that through his every wince and movement. So I just gave him a small smile and continued my task. After Farouz was in more comfortable clothing, I handed him the glass of water and he chugged the whole thing in one go. "Are you hungry? I can make you something."

Farouz shook his head, "no, thank you. Aladdin already practically spoon-fed me tonight." I laughed at his light hearted joke as I climbed into bed next to him. Farouz then said, "we went to a bakery in his neighborhood. He always took me there when I lived with... them... before. He grew up with the family that owns it. I can take you sometime."

His offer made me happy, but I declined, "that place is for you and him. I think it's important you keep it that way. And, you didn't have to tell me where you were."