Pretty When You Cry

The rest of that first week flew by dangerously slow. There was nothing for Harper to do except her homework and reading. She wanted to go for another run, check out the town, or the South Side, but her ankle was still bad. Her mother drove her to school every day as Harper made up some story, about how she hurt her ankle, to tell her mother who barely believed her. She finally left the house late one night to go to Pop's a local diner that her mom suggested to her. She thought studying somewhere else other than her bedroom would be a pleasant change of pace. She slid into one of the booths, sipping on a milkshake as the minutes piled up into hours. Her environmental text book's words began to blur into one another. She looked up and looked out the window into the empty diner's parking lot. There was nothing to see except for her car and an old green pick up. It struck a chord in her mind, trying to remember where she had seen it. Then it hit her.

She looked away from the window down the line of booths in front of her but there was no one. Turning around she glanced over her shoulder to see him sitting in a booth by himself with a cup of coffee in front of him on the table, his head in his hands. She got up from her booth and made her way over to him. Sliding into the booth across from him, he glanced up. Immediately his tired face began to brighten.

"Hey there Darlin'." He smiled at her and she cracked a smile too.

"Hey FP. What are you doing here so late?" He sighed, his face falling slightly before he brightened up.

"Shouldn't I be askin' you that? I mean you're the kid here." He laughed at her and she folded her arms across her chest.

"I'm studying and I told you, I'm no kid. I am a responsible young adult." She laughed and he shook his head.

"Please, you're no adult. Just fresh out of your teenage years you're only eighteen Harper. Don't ever rush into things. Especially not into adulthood." He looked away from her and glanced out the window. He wire no smile now, his eyes emptied and his lips became a hard line.

"What if I like to rush?" She bit her lip as he looked back towards her, raising an eyebrow and smirking.

"Then I suggest get someone to take care of you so you don't get hurt." His eyes twinkled and her blue eyes explored the features of his face. Every wrinkle and curve and line.

"Like who." She baited him. She wouldn't admit to herself yet that all she wanted him to say was himself but he was too smart.

"Like your mom. Family has to look out for each other. I wish mine had." He sat back in his booth sipping on the coffee that had gone cold just like his eyes.

"I guess so. We fight sometimes since it's just us. Just wish I could escape sometimes." She sighed and he nodded at her. He was studying her. Her bottom lip that hung down slightly and her wavy brown hair. He had to steal himself from looking at her. He couldn't spoil her.

"Well, just take care of yourself when you feel that way. Go to the place where you feel safest." She listened now. Wishing that there was truly somewhere she felt safest. He got up from the table, looking down at the girl who was staring out the window.

"You got a ride, Harper?" He asked and waited for her response but she was too tied up in her own head to answer. "Harper?" He reached down and placed a large hand on her left shoulder.

"What?" She looked up at him, he swore there were tears brimming in her eyes.

"I asked, do you need a ride home or something? You shouldn't walk home this late by yourself." He stared down at her, she looked small now, looking up at him.