lies and deception (Bail's P.O.V.)

Bail Organa stopped at the sight of Katalina leaning on the balcony of his quarters. She looked across the city, as a heavy wind blew her long hair. She had it pulled back into a simple ponytail held by a ribbon at the base of her neck. She wore a long black kimono which faded to pink near the bottom over a long white night gown. Both of which were blowing the breeze. She had her elbow rested on the railing and her chin in her hand as she watched the speeders fly by. She looked tired as if she hadn’t gone back to sleep after they talked in the kitchen. Unlike her though, he had already showered and gotten into his senatorial robes.

            “There’s a storm coming” Katalina spoke softly. He was unsure what she was talking about, but he remained silent as he watched her. He didn’t move from the doorway either. “Can you feel it?”

            “What are you talking about?” He asked softly. He was now more confused then ever before. He watched as she let something go. He watched a leaf from one the plants on the balcony go flying in the breeze.

            “It’s coming soon, Bail, and people are going to die” Her voice was quiet; he noted she was definitely acting different. She almost looked different, older and wiser then before. She also looked so small against the skyline of the city. It was almost like she was going to disappear. “If I asked you to leave with me, would you?”

            “I don’t think I could” He sighed softly. He moved closer to her and rested a hand on her shoulder. She didn’t move away but she didn’t look at him. “My place is with the republic, with the people that need my help, maybe when the war is over”

            “This was will never be over” She looked at him, her hair brushing against his face as it blew in the breeze. He liked the feel of it against his skin.

            “Do you have a sense of loyalty to the Republic?” Bail asked as he pushed her hair out of his face. He turned to look at her. When she met his eyes, he saw a hint of sadness in them.

            “More then you know” She looked away. When she finally looked back, he saw anger in her eyes. “I grew up here, I’ve lived on this planet my entire life, I might not be a Senator, but I’ve done my part, I’ve fought this war, and I know that no matter how many people die, this war will never be own. No matter how much I try not to, I care about the clones, Rex is one of my best friends, but I know one day he will die, and it hurts. I have seen men die, and I have given my own blood and sweat for this war. So don’t question my loyalties”

            “I’m sorry” Bail pulled her closer as he watched tears fall down her face. He didn’t mean to hit a nerve, he was just wondering. She had been acting strange since he got out on to the balcony. “I didn’t mean any offense; I just couldn’t understand why you would want to pick up and leave”

            “I’m afraid if we don’t leave, this war will tear us apart.” She pulled back and he instantly missed the feel of her against him. He was confused as to what she was saying. Her eyes were confused as she stared at him. He looked back with the same confusion resting in his heart. “If this war gets the better of us, we could be torn apart by people or by death.” She pulled away. “I’m sorry Bail, I didn’t mean for this to happen. I didn’t mean to fall in love with you”

            With that he watched her walk back into the apartment. He assumed she went to her room as he heard the door open and then close again. He ran a hand over his face; he had a real knack for messing things up no matter how hard he tried. He frowned as he turned to leave. Maybe Anakin could help with this, after all he was married. Bail would have reported him, but Anakin and Katalina were good friends and he did not want to upset her further. He called for Anakin to meet him for coffee at a local café. When he got there Anakin was already sitting at a table with a cup of coffee and a pastry of some sort. Bail came in and sat down. After ordering his coffee and waiting for his drink he moved his gaze toward Anakin.