Midnight drowning

Dark copper hair swayed back and forth on his face. The sun glimmered on his reddish brown skin and the heat was absorbed by his grey shorts and blue shirt. Not like it bothered him, his gazed was fixated on it; something pleasant.  Different blue and green shades of moss encompass rocks protruding from the swamps' bank. It might have been mucky and damp, but seeing the mangroves' roots dipped into the water amused him. Likewise he appreciated the stillness the trees released. On one hand it was lifeless on the other a crab would scurry into a hole or a bird would dive into the water to retrieve its prey all in one breath.  
    He was locked into his own world and some things did go unnoticed.  Like how he was being watched from below. It was only until the muddy water sent waves across its surface that he came out of the daydream to catch a glance; a large fish perhaps. He couldn't quite make it out so he gave up squinting plus the day was coming to an end hurriedly and vividly making out something in that water would be impracticable. He switched on the motor of his boat and made his way to the surface.                                                                                                                                            It still watched and even followed him. With the motor on and the water bubbling under him Rondell didn't hear the creature, he did feel a sense of bloodthirst and extra motions under him which only motivated him to leave the swamp as soon as possible. Rondell peeped over his right shoulder as he tied the boat onto a land post, every time he looked it felt as though something or someone sunk back into the water within the same motion. Not to mention the circular wave formed on the waters' surface as if a rock hit it.  Still, he decided to focus on tying a secure knot and leave immediately. But as he turned to leave his steps were halted. Almost instantly he was pulled onto the stony shoreline as he gasped from hitting his face on the stones a deformed and gluey hand clutched onto his thighs. Its mouth opened and closed as though it wanted to gather air but couldn't. It wasn't even a real human mouth or fish so to say merely a skeleton of what might of been a mouth and even creepier it was swarming with squirming maggots some that fell on his skin along with droopy flesh.

"Ahhhhhhh!"

The creature was fragile and falling apart but its grip was secured. Rondell tried to shake it off and pull away at the same time but it dragged him towards the swamp. Holding onto the bow of the boat with one hand he took the other to grab a stone and pried the creature's 'hands' away. The creature retaliated by slashing its hands around in an attempt to grab his foot once again. It wasn't strong enough to jerk forward and grab his leg but it was successful in leaving a deep laceration. After wounding him it just laid there lifeless. With sudden eagerness Rondell jolted up and dashed across the stony path to a nearby shop in terrifying fright.

Bang!

The shopkeeper looked up to see terrified eyes and a moving mouth with indistinguishable words. He calmed Rondell, heard the story and decided to call the police.
They arrived shortly after and were taken to the swamp. Rondell pointed at his attacker with unstable, shaky hands. There were three policemen, Rondell and a few villagers who stood over what was assumed to be a human body. Its aura made it feel mystical or demonic-like. If you were a youngster there an older person would have commented that back in their day people used to cast these things on you when you committed a serious crime. Although casting demons on people was a known thing in this place what appeared before them still felt different and awful. Its face was covered in  half flesh, half bones and no clothes; revealing eaten out skin and a few organs. No one had any other suggestions than it being a human though. 

"Any injuries?"

"No" Rondell replied biting his lip.

 ~