Two

Daniel's point of view

          I was a tiny teen, all throughout High School. I was getting annoyed at why nothing in my body was working. I was frustrated at staying the same as I was. My High School years slowly slipped by.

          Finally one day, I was sick of it all. I went to the doctors to see if he could understand why I wasn't changing. I was seventeen years old who was, as I found out a month later, literally  stuck in a twelve year old's body.

          Well, the doctor gave me a blood test, and sent them- and me - away. I was more frustrated and anxious than I had ever been.

          The test results came in about a week later. The doctor had called me up and explained that he had no idea what he was looking at. And that was it. Game over. No doctor could tell me what was wrong. I didn't understand why. But then, the doctor requested I go see an endocrinologist in Launceston, Tasmania.

          A few weeks later, my dad and I were on a featherless metal bird, trying to find a reason why I was so different.

          It was a shitty day. Raining and windy, but that's not uncommon for Tassie. My dad and I waited around to see the endocrinologist. I was praying to God that she would have an answer. 

          She tested me, asked a few questions and conducted a few blood tests. Confused, she requested I go and have an MRI (Magnetic Resonance Image) done just down the road. I agreed.

          After, we went back to the endocrinologist. As soon as she saw my results, she told me I have Kallmann's Syndrome.

          Okay, so...what the hell is that? I remember thinking. She explained to me that from birth, the pituitary gland in the center of the brain, the creator of all of my hormones that control my body, was not working at all. Fantastic.

          She explained a treatment option that involved a lot of needles, lots of expensive hormones, and even more damn needles. But it was worth it, I finally had an explanation as to why I was do different. I was happy.

          As time went on, as needles slowly ate my hips away, I was constantly feeling depressed. Okay, great, I found out why I am so different. But there's still something missing. Something neither my friends or family could comprehend. I wanted someone to realize what I was going through. 

          Was is too much to ask to find someone that understood what I was dealing with? No one believed I had no sense of smell. Depression hit me hard, but I was changing.

          On the 29th of April, 2012...my prayers were finally answered. I was looking through the Kallmann's support group on Facebook, hoping vainly that someone would be there. And to my shock, I found a sixteen year old girl who was in the group. 

          I wasn't sure if she would message me back or respond to my friend request. I was trying not to get my hopes up too much.

          I sent her a message saying:

         "Hi there. Um, I found you on the K.S. pages. I have K.S. too and it's good to know someone else that has it. It sucks doesn't it? I hate what it's done...but hey. Anosmia sucks doesn't it? Haha.

          She replied three days later:

          "Oh my gosh! I hate anosmia! Haha, well, it's so good to meet you!"

         May the 3rd, 2012 is the day I met Rebecca, and since that day, we have not stopped talking to each other.