13: The Speaker

By the time we arrive back at the Tower, the moon is shining brightly, bathing the marble tiles to the Speaker's wing in silver light.  The chamber is circular in nature, its back open to the sky and the Traveler.  Centering the room is an orrary like construction, its rings orbiting slowly around the glowing orb at the center. 

My steps slow as I gaze up at the Traveler.  In the darkness, the gouges up its sides are much more apparent.  Wounds that marred it.  And defeated it.  

"There was a time," a voice begins, catching my attention, "When we were much more powerful."  I look back to find a man descending a set of stairs to the right of the door behind me.  "But that was long ago." 

He stands about my own height, a faceless mask and black hood covering his head.  "Until it wakes and finds its voice, I am the one who speaks for the Traveler."  His white robes shift with him as he makes his way to my side and gestures for me to follow him to the railing surrounding the orrary.  

"You must have no end of questions, Guardian," he says quietly.  I nod once, following at his side.  His mask is upturned toward the Traveler, the pale light of the stars reflecting off its smooth surface.  "In its dying breath, the Traveler created the Ghosts."  

He gestures to North, who has flown from his place at my shoulder high above us, to get a better view.  Against the dark sky he looks like one of the many stars.  "To seek out those who could wield its Light as a weapon."  For a moment he pauses, nodding in my direction.  "Guardians.  To protect us, and do what the Traveler itself no longer can."  

"What happened to it?" I ask softly. 

The Speaker looks down as North returns to my side.  "I could tell you of the great battle centuries ago.  How the Traveler was crippled.  I could tell you of the power of the darkness, its ancient enemy."  He pauses, turning away to pace slowly across the floor, and when he speaks again, his voice is low and sad.  "There are many tales told throughout the city to frighten children.  Lately those tales have stopped.  Now, the children are frightened anyway." 

A pang of sorrow ripples through my chest, but I don't have time to dwell on it, as he turns back to face me, silhouetted against the light of a lantern behind him. 

"The Darkness is coming back.  We will not survive it this time." 

"Its armies surround us," North puts in.  "The Fallen are just the beginning."  A chill creeps up my spine as I think of what might be lurking out in the dark, beyond the Fallen, and beyond the Hive. 

But the prickle of fear sends a surge of resolve through me.  I face the Speaker squarely.  "What can I do?" 

He gazes at me, silently a moment, gauging, accessing.  "You must push back the Darkness.  Guardians are fighting on Earth and beyond.  Join them."

I resist the urge to cast a glance up at the moon, now within reach with a Warp drive installed.  

"Your Ghost will guide you," he continues, casting a glance at North.  "I only hope he chose wisely."  With that he steps back and starts back up the stairs.  

Taking his dismissal, I turn to go, North bobbing along after me.  

"I did," he chirps confidently.  "I know I did."  I smile, feeling a surge of affection for my little Ghost.  "We're in this together now."  

Indeed we are.  I know that now. 

What I do not know, is what exactly we are in for.