• 6

"If my man was fighting, some unholy war, I would be behind him."

    Screams were all Freya heard. They were her screams. Her fathers men had been torturing her for hours. Freya's 14 year old self wanted to give up every ounce of information she knew, but she didn't because if she did, the pain she felt would only get much worse.

Each man had taken turns doing a new form of torture on her. Whatever they believed would make her crack. One had thought digging a blade in her thigh would do the trick. Another tried fire or water. One just went the old fashioned way and started beating her.

Then they started breaking bones nothing too serious but still enough to hurt. "Come on Freyanna!" Her father told her, "You cant let them torture forever they will either kill you or you'll give up information and then they'll kill you."

Then she heard screams again, but this time they weren't hers. They belonged to someone else.

Freya jolted up from her spot on the bed. She looked around trying to find the source of the screaming until her eyes landed on Mitch. He was thrashing around in his bed, sweat covered his forehead, and the covers were pushed down to the lower part of his torso.

Freya looked at the clock which said 4 am. She sighed and went into the bathroom grabbing a towel and running it under cold water, ringing it out. She then went to Mitch and put the towel on his forehead brushing his hair out of his face. Freya knew what it was like to have nightmares like that and so she thought she should try and help him.

She continued to run her hands through his hair as she thought back to before she went to sleep. After her shower, Mitch went in and she sat on the bed with her head in her hands until she finally got sheets to ready herself for the couch.

When Mitch came out, him and her got into an argument over who should have the bed but after a while both became tired and agreed to share it. She jumped when she felt a hand grab hers, taking her from her thoughts. She looked up at Mitch to see him still sound asleep except he was more relaxed. "Katrina." He muttered in his sleep. Freya blinks rapidly and shakes her head. That hurt. She doesn't know why what he said affected her as much as it did. She slumps in the chair trying to get a bit more sleep.

When she awoke again the clock read 6 am. Her hand was still firmly grasped by Mitch's who was asleep he looked peaceful, he was more relaxed and looked carefree. his mouth was slightly a gape and small snores were coming from him. Freya studied him, he looked happy. she wondered what he was dreaming about but then pushed that thought to the back of her head as she remembered what he called her last night. 

She got up with a mixture of a sigh and a yawn, and decided to make some coffee. When it finished brewing she poured it in two mugs. She quietly went to Mitch's side of the bed and successfully put it on his bedside table without waking him.

When she turned and began to walk away a hand shot out and grabbed hers. Freya gasped dropping her cup of coffee and watching as it spilled all over her feet. She grit her teeth at the pain and looked at Mitch to see him staring at her his eyes hard and his stone cold exterior back up.

"What do you think your doing?"

She squeaked, "Trying to give you coffee." He still held onto her and it wasn't until she told him he was hurting her that his eyes softened and he let go of her. She stepped back out of the coffee and sighed in satisfaction now that her feet weren't burning up.

He muttered a sorry but still stared at her. "What?" she asked him as she began to clean up the broken pieces of the cup. "I-I swore I saw you last night and not laying next to me, I mean li-like looking at me and..." he stopped himself, "you know what never mind."

She froze for a second but the played it off looking up at him with a smirk on her face. "Well Mitch, I'm flattered  your dreaming about me." He gaped at her then rolled his eyes and got out of bed, he brushed his shoulder forcefully against hers and went into the bathroom slamming the door shut.

Freya sighs, never again she thought to herself. Never again.