Chapter 17 - Misery

Silence enveloped me, holding me tight in its cocoon while Zev walked me home. It wasn't that I had nothing to say to him but too much I wanted to say, and not enough words to explain.

Why he even bothered to walk me home, I couldn't fathom. But his steady presence warmed my frozen soul -- even while it sliced my heart deeper. Even after I had rejected him, he cared enough to want to keep me safe from the dangers lurking in the darkness. I wouldn't have shown myself the same compassion.

Standing in the dark hallway outside my door, my heart screamed to not let him go. His gaze bore into me, limitless emotions reflecting in the facets of his bright emerald eyes but my insecurities were burned too deep and my tongue wouldn't speak the words my heart cried out.

So I stepped into my apartment, the door hovering open with no trace of an invitation in the air.

He took a step back, turning away, but paused long enough to speak. "If you need anything -- whatever or whenever -- just call for me. I'll hear you and I'll be there."

Then he was gone.

But at least misery stayed behind to keep me company.

Chelsea barged through my door at one in the morning

Chelsea barged through my door at one in the morning. Guilt had eaten through me, and I had broken down and called her, needing her friendship and bubbly attitude to breath some life back into me. Of course, she had been dying to know where I had disappeared off to, and came immediately, seeking answers.

"Okay, spill." The couch groaned as she jumped onto its sunken cushions beside my curled up form. "Where the hell did you go?"

There wasn't enough energy in my body to lie, so I told her the truth. "I got drunk, I kissed Zev and went home with him." So, part of the truth anyway since I conveniently left out the part about his home being in a different realm.

Her squeal was deafening as she shook my arms, nearly rattling the life out of me. "So how was it? He was good, right? I need details, Evelyn. Details."

I shook my head, sinking into the worn couch. "I didn't sleep with him. He took me home because I was drunk and he didn't want someone to take advantage of me."

She blindsided me with a solid whack from the throw pillow. "Evelyn," she snapped in a tone that left me unsure whether or not she was joking. "Don't lie to me. You were gone for a full day -- what the hell were you doing with him all that time then?"

"We talked, mostly," I answered honestly. "And then we kissed again but I couldn't do anything more than that -- I don't want to hurt Jorden anymore than I already have. So he brought me back home."

Chelsea's hazel eyes dimmed and her face fell to a look of sincere disappointment. "All that hotness -- you had him right there. I mean, I'm not convinced you're telling the truth anyway -- not even you are insane enough to turn that away but if you're not telling me, it's because you're in denial, so I'll go with you on this."

I scooted closer to her, dropping onto the pillow she still held in her lap. "Chelse, I really want to fix things with Jorden and this isn't going to help. I don't want to keep hurting him, and if I tell him that I kissed Zev, I don't think there's anything I can do to make him forgive me, so let's not talk about it anymore. I feel guilty enough as it is."

Her hand stroked my hair, soothing me as she sighed. "Well alright but I think you're crazy. Still, I won't breathe a word of this to Jorden, and if he asks, you've been with me all this time."

"Thanks, Chelse. I don't know what I'd do without you."

Her giggle lightened my dark mood if only by the tiniest bit. "Die single, hun. You'd die single."

Is hiding the kiss from Jorden really the best decision?  Will adding this lie to the mountain she already has be too much for her?

And will this be the last time we see Zev? Or will they meet again?

Thanks so much for reading! I hope you have an awesome day!