Chapter 2 - Bud Lite and American Dad

✳✳✳
"Ah!" I hissed, wincing as I stood up from the couch. A purple bruise ran down my left thigh, stretching from the bottom of my boxers all the way down to my knee. I limped away from the TV, where a re-run of American Dad was playing.

"Stupid Seth McFarlane." I spat, but there was no real emphasis behind my words. The guy may be a cuck, but I liked his shows.

Hobbling over to the kitchen, I cracked open a Bud Lite and guzzled about half the can before slamming it back onto the counter. Droplets of beer landed on the fake marble surface.

The doorbell rang, and I rolled my eyes. Pulling on a pair of sweatpants, I yanked the door open.

"Ugh, Kevin." I stated flatly.

"Hey Max." The noirette said, giving me a smug little half wave.

Putting my arm against the door, I looked up at him. "What are you doing here?"

He grinned. "Got bored." I glared at him. Of course.

I reluctantly let him in, shutting the door as he made a beeline for the living room. He had been over tons of times, and as much as I tried to enforce the "Just because you live next to me doesn't mean you have to come over all the time" rule, he broke it so many times I couldn't count.

"Got anything to drink?" He called.

"Bud Lite, and that's it. You know, you should really let me get away with at least ONE heist. I'd be able to afford better alcohol."

He laughed, his deep voice ringing through the room. "No can do, mister. I'm the hero this city needs, blah blah blah."

"Well you could at least go a little easier on me. I mean, look at THIS!" I pulled down my sweatpants, the artificial air hitting the blue bruise that lined my leg.

He sucked in a breath. "Yikes. Sorry. I was just doing my job, man."

"I know," I grumbled, walking back out to the living room, where Kevin was hovering above the couch.

"Hey, no flying in my apartment." I snapped, and he dropped back down onto the motheaten fabric. I threw him a beer and he happily cracked it open, chugging from the top.

"You animal," I sighed, and he gave me an amused sideways glance.

"You sound like my cousin's boyfriend."

Tearing my eyes away from American Dad, I glanced at him. "Huh. Is her boyfriend anything like me?"

He shook his head. "My cousin's not a girl, he's a guy."

"Oh." I stated simply. There was a couple of seconds of silence before Kevin spoke up.

"Do you, y'know, have a problem with that?"

I looked at him, appalled. "No way. It's just... I've never known if anyone around me was gay, that's all."

I saw him stiffen out of the corner of my eye. He gave a short laugh, but I don't think he found anything that I said funny. He sat there for a second before getting up, pulling on his sweatshirt.

"I think I'm gonna go." He said.

"...Okay, good." I called, as he started to walk towards the apartment door.

"You up for another fight tomorrow?" He asked, halfway out the door.

I thought for a second. "Mmm... I'll text you if I feel better. Now fuck off."

He shook his head humorously and shut the door.
✳✳✳