Chapter 9 - Broken Motorcycle

✳✳✳

"Hi. I'm Katie Baker and this is the midnight news. With the new, deadly supervillain Rampage on the loose, six more deaths were reported in this week alone. L.A is in terror and the hero Captain Kind is wounded and in critical, WHO will be the one to stop him?"

---

I yanked on my purple and blue suit, the fabric fitting tightly around me. Pulling on my gloves, I grabbed my rounds of BBs and shoved them into the barrels of the guns, reloading them both with a click.

A single black duffel bag lay on the floor near the window, and I zipped it open, the fabric hissing as I plunged my hands into its contents. The sounds of metal hitting against metal came from the bag, and I grinned as I looked at it.

A hyper ice gun. Smoke bombs. Charge blaster. Cold steel knuckles. The entire duffel bag was filled to the brim with my inventions, all gleaming brightly in the rays of light that shone through the window. I hadn't slept in God knows how long because of these, but it looked like the hard work paid off.

"I'm coming for you." I whispered before hoisting the bag over my shoulder and sliding up the glass of the window, rushing down the rusty steps outside of my apartment. The heavy sack of equipment bounced across my shoulder as I swung over the edge of the railing, landing on the ladder and unlocking the latch. It barreled towards the ground and I hopped off just as it clattered into the concrete, the sound from the collision echoing through the alleyway. I swung my leg over the side of my motorcycle and gunned the engine, the exhaust spewing out black smoke. I backed out of the driveway with a roar.

---

"Reports say that Rampage is nearing the center of town, about to rob and take down The Meelee Skyscraper, the biggest bank in L.A. Officials say that he is planning to fell the skyscraper as well, causing dozens of civillian deaths if carried out. The police are rushing to stop him but to no avail, as the rest of the city watches anxiously at home. I'm Katie Baker of the daily news, with the latest supervillain update."

---

I zoomed around the corner, my palms sweaty and my legs shaking. I could roughly hear the crashes and screams of people in the distance as the wind whipped through my hair at forty miles per hour. My motorcycle screamed past several java shops and right into an assload of traffic. I sighed and leaned forward on the handle bars of my bike, muttering under my breath.

Suddenly, I snapped my head upwards. These people weren't driving in the same direction as me... they were driving towards me. Honks and yelling erupted from the various Camrys stationed in front, and I shook my head apologetically. Starting to get off my motorcycle, someone's piercing scream ripped through my ears, and a truck barreled towards me. I leapt off the bike and rolled onto the cement sidewalk just as the double-wheeler slammed into it, spinning it across the pavement with a sickening screech.

"WHAT THE HELL!?" I yelled over the sound of my ears ringing, getting up to look at the remains of the blue bike. The truck that had hit it peeled off rapidly and drove away faster than any double I had ever seen before.

"FUCKIN ASS!" I spat, before a yell behind me made me turn around. Four cars were speeding towards me, and I ran back to the sidewalk to let them pass by. What the hell was up with all these cars...?

A harsh laugh rang through the air, slicing my nerves like butter.

Rampage.

He was floating in the air, holding two steel beams up like they were weightless. His face was contorted into an evil grin and his ripped black cape fluttered behind him in the wind. Then it clicked. The cars were driving away from HIM.

"Come back for round two, eh Max?!" He sneered.

I cleared my throat shakily, my knuckles white around the straps of my duffel bag.

"Rampage," I started, my voice wavering. "You're a monster. You almost killed Captain Kind. You... you almost killed my BEST friend in the entire world. You shot him, like it was nothing. And now, today, I'm going to shoot you. And believe me, I'll feel NOTHING."

✳✳✳