Chapter 3 - The Leather Book

✳✳✳
"Eat my shit, Captain Kind!" I yelled as he swooped in through the window, metal rod in hand. He swung it at me, narrowly missing me full on. I felt the air rush past me as the cold stainless steel scraped my cheek. Warm blood dripped down my chin.

"Ow," I muttered, pulling out my gun and a baseball bat from against a nearby table.

A high school wasn't the ideal place for a robbery, but it was the closest building to my apartment and it would really make a splash with the kids. Plus, it was a private, so most of these rich little white children were absolutely rolling in dough, and that was dough for me to grab. And anyways, I worked on making my BBs ten times more painful during my sleepless night the evening before.

Clicking the safety off, I unloaded a round into Kevin's side, and he groaned in pain as the twelve bullets hit him point blank. Score.

Raising my arm, I brought the bat down onto his leg and he crumpled to the ground, mirth filling his eyes. He tried to fly upwards but he winced roughly as his leg got lifted off the ground, and his body dropped back down onto the tile.

"Stop, Max. Not here," He hissed. I raised an eyebrow.

"I think I'll do whatever I want, Captain." I smirked, but something in his tone irked me. Shaking it off, I grabbed his collar and raised my fist.

"STOP!" A voice rang out through the hallway. The crowd of students that were watching the fight in awe parted, to reveal a girl. She was maybe sophomore age, with black hair and brown eyes that were hatefully fixed on me.

"Don't hurt him." She stated.

I glanced at Kind, who was still lying on the floor, though an emotion I didn't recognize clouded his eyes. I turned back towards the girl, smiling ruthlessly.

"Honey, what did you say?" I asked, false sweetness peppering my words.

She took another brave step forward. "I said, stop hurting him. You're not even a real villain, Calamity, so stop acting like it."

My jaw dropped. Her words bit into me like a vice, my chest tight. You're not a real villain.

"Oh yeah?" I snarled. "Does this seem like a 'real villain' to you?"

I ran towards her, yanking her black backpack off her slender shoulders. Ripping the fabric in two, I dumped the contents on the floor, and a leather bound book fell onto the floor. She gasped, and I gave her a sharp grin.

"HEY!" Kevin yelled, trying to get up. I flipped him off and returned to the contents of the bag, the book sticking out.

I swiped it up and started to read aloud.

"Today has been uneventful, except Roger Darlinger talked to me today... how cool is that? Wow, maybe this could even turn into a friendship!" I made doe eyes at the girl, who was staring at me, her eyes wide with shock.

"Hilarious." I sneered, and ripped the book in half. She cried out and lunged for the ripped pages, tears running down her face. I suddenly realized what I did. I made a little high school girl cry. I ruined her life and ripped her diary. I was a monster.... but... but isn't that true villainy?

"I-I'm sor---" I didn't even get to finish my sentence before a fist slammed into my face.

Pain rocketed through my head, and I groaned as Kind lunged on top of me, hitting me again. He had never beat me like this before. We always held back on each other... what was wrong...? Blood seeped from the cut on my face, and I coughed weakly. He hit me again, and I yelled out in agony as his fist gashed open the wound even more. Why was he doing this... was this because of the girl..?

His fists pummeled me again and again, driving me back into the cold tile. I didn't mean to. I didn't mean to. I was seeing red, tiny dots of white clouding my vision like stars.

"K-Ke...Ke...v-vin..." I choked out, before spiraling into a world of darkness.
✳✳✳