V

Tom clenched his jaw as he heard Slughorn compliment Hermione on her potion.

All class Slughorn had been favouring her and talking about her potion when Tom's was just as good, if anything, better.

The boy tapped his finger against surface of the wooden desk as he waited for the old excuse of a professor to look at his potion. He looked over to find he was now at Hermione's shoulder, looking down at her potion.

"Now you see it, don't you?" A voice said from beside him. Tom let out an annoyed exhale as he turned to the Malfoy boy.

"See what, exactly?" He watched the boy grin.

"She's good-looking, and smart. And good at Dark Arts." Abraxas didn't even attempt at hiding his stare at the girl.

"It's almost like she were sent here to beat you." Tom felt his ego get hit. A random girl was not going to have him beat in his school.

"Anyway, she has nice blue eyes. Don't you think?" Tom furrowed his brown in confusion.

"Are you blind? They're brown." The Riddle boy shut his eyes in regret when he realized he fell for Abraxas' childish trap. The blonde began to erupt into laughter which attracted confused stares from their classmates, including Hermione.

"Quit being so juvenile, you cretin." Abraxas shrugged with a smile still on his face.

"Alright, Granger-Lover." Tom clenched his jaw. When Slughorn took the girl to the closet with ingredients, an idea struck him.

He slowly raised his wand, enough so it was directed at Hermione but also hidden from Slughorn.

"Locomotor." A bunch of alihotsy leaves that were on the table next to Hermione's cauldron levitated until he threw them in the pot.

"What are you doing?!" Abraxas whispered from beside him.

"Shutup and keep watch." He said as he stirred the leaves into the pot, hoping his plan would work.

"They're coming!" Abraxas whispered hysterically from beside him. Tom stopped stirring and hid his wand again as he watched the two return to her desk.

He pretended to work but watched from the corner of his eye as Hermione offered Slughorn the potion. Slughorn took a sip after a few seconds, he began to laugh uncontrollably.

The whole class looked over to find a stunned Hermione looking at Slughorn with the potion still in hand. Her mouth was parted in shock and her face was growing red.

"I'm so sorry. I...I don't know what-" She frantically spoke as the professor laughed louder.

"Office." He breathed out through laughs.

Tom felt a smirk on his face as he watched the entire mess. As if she knew, Hermione looked over and glared at him before walking out with a manic Slughorn.

"That was amazing!" Abraxas exclaimed from beside him.

"Guys, Tom did that!" He called over the other Slytherin boys and they too began to applaud him.

Tom knew it was petty, but he was willing to do anything to stay at the top.

Hermione stomped her foot like a child throwing a temper-tantrum when she reached the empty common room. She couldn't believe Tom actually messed with her potion.