VIII

The night Hermione had been trying to avoid had finally arrived. The Hallowe'en Ball.

She grunted as she made her way to her trunk and pulled out her costume. She stared at the silk, white dress in her hand. The slit that went to her thigh made her regret buying it because of how scandalous it was.

It was supposed to be a toga, as she was going as a Greek Senator. She had even made a fake torch and headpiece to top it all off.

Hermione waited for the room to empty and then slipped out of her pyjamas and into the dress. The silky fabric glided across her skin as she slipped it on. The girl walked over to her mirror and audibly gasped at her reflection.

The dress fit perfectly. It hugged her curves and hips in all the right places, and although the thigh slit bothered her, she decided to let it be. The back of the dress had a small train that touched the ground, giving it an extra accent.

Hermione spun around and admired how the dress smoothly flew in the air and hit the ground with a soft thud. She couldn't believe how perfect it was.

She took a seat in front of her vanity and stared at the makeup sitting on the table. She did want to look good, but she hated makeup. The brunette took sighed in defeat as she began to curl and add mascara to her lashes. She already looked better, but she knew some lipstick and highlight was necessary.

She added white highlighter to the corner of her eyes to make it somewhat pop, as if her dress didn't do that. Finally, she applied a pinkish matte lipstick colour and then coated it with lipgloss for shimmer.

Hermione smiled at her reflection, but it quickly dropped when she noticed her rats-nest hair. She groaned and plugged in her straightener. As she waited for it to heat up, she tried to slightly tame it and ran a brush through it, but only ended up hurting herself.

After an hour or so, Hermione finally finished straightening her hair. Heat-damaging her hair sucked, but she did look good with straight hair.

The girl grabbed a pair of silver, shiny heels to wear but immediately regretted it when she wore it. The heels hurt, but it wasn't that bad. She hoped it wouldn't get worse throughout the night.

Before leaving she took one last glimpse of herself in the mirror. Her reflection looked like a much better, prettier version of herself.

The darkening sky made Hermione realize how late it was getting and she quickly left the Girls Dorm. 

"Oh my god!" Treala and Narcissa gasped in sync once they saw her come out of the Slytherin common room.

"You look so good, Hermione!"

"Tom's gonna freak once he sees you." Hermione laughed awkwardly.

"Yeah.....about that..." The girl's' smiles slowly faded when they realized what Hermione meant.

"You didn't go with him?!"

"Why?!" They shrieked in her ear as she covered her head.

"Who did you go with instead?" Treala interrogated.

"I said Bryan would take me." Hermione's friends shared a look between them before turning back to her.

"What?..." Hermione asked, confused to what was happening.

"Well, Bryan didn't know that. He already has a date." The Granger girl lightly slapped her forehead with the palm of her head.

"I forgot to tell him." She groaned as she leaned against the hallway wall.

"It's okay! We can go together!" Narcissa tried to cheer her up, her inner Hufflepuff shining.

"No...you guys have dates. I'll just follow, I guess." Treala dragged her from the wall.

"Then, hurry! We're gonna be late!" The three girls ran as fast as their heels would take them towards the Great Hall.

To Hermione's luck, her ankle twisted as she ran, causing her to fall. Her friends didn't seem to notice and kept running without her, which Hermione didn't really care about. Mostly because her ankle was throbbing in pain.

She sat on the cold floor until she finally felt the pain start to fade away. The brunette let out a breath of relief when she felt her ankle again.

As she was about to get up, a figure entered her peripheral vision, causing her to whip her head around. It was, of course, Tom Riddle approaching her.

"There's things called chairs if you would like to take a seat." He said, his smartass tone getting on Hermione's nerves.

"Shutup, Tom." She struggled to get up until she felt a strong hand wrap around her forearm and lift her up gently.

"Thanks, but I'm fine." Hermione dusted the back of her dress and silently prayed it wasn't dirty. She liked to think it was her imagination, but she could've sworn she saw Tom look her up and down.

That's when she noticed him and his attire. His usual messy brown hair was styled so that a stray curl fell onto his face. He wore a black suit, which confused Hermione because she couldn't figure out who he was supposed to be.

"What are you supposed to be?" She asked, to which he shrugged in return.

"These things are childish." Hermione rolled her eyes.

"Right....That's why you got all suited up." He nodded with a devilish smirk on his face. Hermione had to look away when she realized just how attractive he actually was.

"Where's your date?" He followed her as she began to walk towards the Great Hall.

"Not here." Hermione could just sense his stupid smirk even if she couldn't see him.

"So you don't have a date then?" Hermione was about to say no, but remembered the entire reason she was here in the first place. Her plan. Harry. Ron. Everyone.

"Unless you'd like to be my date, no, I don't." She feigned a smile and turned towards him.

"Excellent." He offered his hand out and Hermione reluctantly took it. She tried not to pay any attention to how cold and hard his hands were as the two entered the Great Hall together.