(I Thought I Could Trust You)

For the next few weeks Sonic and Rouge had been spending a lot of time together. They had gone to movies, walks through the park etc. You could say they were dating, but that is not the case.

Sonic wished he was dating the majestic bat. But the thing that prevented him from doing so was that he was unsure if his friends would accept his choice that and Rouge was a thief and he was a famous hero. He knew it would be a very complicated relationship.

The blue hedgehog was running through Mystic Ruins and soon stopped in front of Tails' workshop. He walked up to the door and walked inside.

"Hey Tails I- He was suddenly grabbed by the arm and yanked into Tails' workshop.

"Whoa Tails, I know you like to show me the new stuff you build in here but..."

Tails looked at him with a worried and irritated expression. Sonic could already tell something bad had happened.

"What's wrong?" he asked getting straight to the point.

"Well I woke up this morning and went to get the chaos emeralds to use on a test flight for a new type of plane I have been working on" explained the young fox as he walked over to a small vault in the wall.

"When I opened the vault they were gone"

The blue hedgehog tilted to the side and peered into the vault which as Tails had said was empty.

"Who could have taken them?"

"Rouge"

Sonic stiffened and glanced at his little brother.

"Say what now?"

Tails rolled his eyes. "I said Rouge is the one who took the emeralds"

Sonic raise an eyebrow at him. "And you know this for a fact how?"

Tails walked over to a desk where a laptop was sitting. Sonic looked at the screen and saw surveillance video of Rouge in her thief outfit hacking into the vault mainframe and opening it. The last few moments of the video showed her taking the emeralds then leaving the workshop.

He looked at Tails then back at the lab top screen. The gears in his head were turning as he slowly put the puzzle in his mind together.

Sonic sighed and slumped against the wall. His friend/brother raised an eyebrow at his actions.

"You ok?"

"I'm such an idiot Tails" groaned the blue hedgehog putting his hands on his head.

"At times yes, but what makes you one this time?"

Sonic ignored Tail's comment and started to explain. "I mentioned the emeralds to Rouge and only now do I realize why she kissed me that night when I tried asking her why she wanted to know where you lived"

Tails slowly nodded. "Well that just goes to show that... WAIT! YOU TOLD HER WHERE I LIVE!"

Sonic just smiled nervously added with a light chuckle. Tails did a face palm. Sonic straightened up and looked at his friend.

"Don't worry Tails, I'll fix this ok"

Tails gave him a somewhat doubtful look but just nodded with a small smile.

....................................

Rouge was sitting in her office holding up the bright blue gem she held in her hand. She smiled as she gazed at its magnificence.

"Stealing these emeralds was a walk in the park....though I have to admit, it took me a while to break the code that Fox Boy set up on the vault"

She put the emerald down on the desk next to the white one. She turned in her rolling chair and looked out the window where there was a good view of the city block. As she stared out her thoughts turned to Sonic.