And the Land is Dark

Third person P.O.V. ~
Gordie had gotten through the story of his adventure only crying once, but it was okay, because Y/N cried too. Even though she wasn't as close with Denny , his death still left a hole in her heart.

" And then I told Ace to 'suck my fat one, you cheap dime store hood.' And he told me he would get me back." Gordie recounted.

"Who told you that you had a fat one Gordie?" Y/N joked and giggled.

"That's exactly what Chris said! And then we covered Ray up and walked home. It really messed me up Y/N. Both him and Denny were too young." Gordie sniffed and wiped a stray tear.

"Hey, at least you got me , huh? Who else would illustrate your stories? I doubt Chris, Teddy, or Vern have the artistic ability. No offense to them, but they can't even draw stick figures." Y/N joked to bring her brother's spirit up. Secretly, Y/N wanted to cry and vent to her brother, but he had enough to deal with right now, so she made jokes instead.

"Yeah, at least I got you. But I'm scared about Ace, Y/N. When he gets revenge, it's really serious. Do you remember the guy who scratched his car ?" Y/N nodded. "Yeah, he was in the hospital for six weeks, and I stole fame away from him. Imagine what he's going to do to me..." Gordie trailed off and then shuddered.

"Hey, it will be fine. He'll go easy on you, you're a kid. It will all be fine, I promise." Y/N said. She sounded like she was trying to convince herself more than Gordie, but he didn't notice. Y/N gave Gordie a side hug "Let's get some tunes." Gordie dug through his pillowcase to find the radio. He turned it on and tuned it to a random station. He then laid on his side, as did Y/N. Both talked about what seemed important to twelve year olds.

"If Jesus can walk on water, can he swim on land?"

"Why did Vern choose pez as the food he would eat forever? Why not steak? It's better than pez, AND you would survive longer if you ate steak." 

"If I could choose to be an object, I would choose to be a poisonous mushroom because whoever ate me would die, then I'd be immortal."

"Why do mosquitoes exist? Just because they are other animals' food doesn't mean we need those other animals."

"Why are somethings attractive and others aren't?"

"If you want to annoy your teacher just make a contraction of y'all and ain't and say y'aint."

"Does Ace have a real name?"

"If I want to become an illustrator, do I have to take the college courses?"

That question caught Gordie off guard.

"Well, it would be good to have a backup plan. Not that I'm saying you are a bad illustrator, you're amazing, but it could be hard to get money with that job. Writing is hard too, but it's good to have backup plans."

Y/N nodded and squinted to check her watch. "Hey Gordo, it's 1:00 in the morning. We need some sleep if I'm going to show the boys my sketches tomorrow."

"Wait, you're going to the treehouse with me tomorrow?" Gordie was confused.

"Of course I'm going. Now get some sleep Gordie, love you." Y/N turned onto her side and closed her eyes.

"Love you too."