5 - The Dark Lord

"Ah Lucius, so nice of you to join us."

The elder Malfoy bowed low, mirrored by his son.

"Apologies, My Lord, my son bonded with his familiar only a few moments ago, unavoidably delaying us."

"Interesting. Step forward boy."

The Dark Lord watched, quietly amused, as the young blonde approached. The boy was doing a credible imitation of his father's disdainful mask, but Tom could see the fear lucking behind his mercury eyes. The boy bowed again, holding the pose until he was acknowledged.

"Draco Malfoy. Your father has spoken highly of you."

The boy nodded at the praise, a small smile flitting across his pale features.

"Tell me of your find."

Tom watched the boy stroke the serpents head. He was a bit taken aback by the intense scrutiny the serpent was giving him.

"Her name is Oma, My Lord. She's a Syren – a pygmy Syren – and I came across her in a Diagon Alley side street."

"A pygmy Siren? I am impressed Draco. Syrens are exceptionally rare creatures in their own right, but pygmies appear maybe once every few hundred years. I hope you appreciate the gift you have been given."

The smiled again, a bit more relaxed.

"From what little I've learned of her, My Lord, I doubt Oma would accept anything less than complete adoration on my part."

Tom chuckled. He couldn't help it; the Malfoy heir was an imp.

"Greetings, Oma," he hissed in parseltongue. The Syren's eyes widened a bit.

"Greetings, Wizard."

"You may call me Tom. I hope that we will become friends."

She nodded. "Tom then. You are the leader here?"

"Yes. Draco's father is one of my most loyal and trusted followers. I look for your young Wizard to follow in his footsteps."

"We shall see, Tom."

The Dark Lord was considering the implications of her words when he felt Nagini slide into his lap.

"Insolent wretch," she hissed at the Syren. "You will address my Master as Lord! You and that horrid child of yours should be groveling at his feet, begging for your miserable lives."

"Nagini!" Tom hissed, shocked by the Cobra's behavior.

Oma reared up, "You will not speak of Draco in such a manner!"

"And what will you do about it peasant?"

"How dare you call me peasant, you ignorant lizard," Nagini hissed at the insult, flaring her hood, "Syrens are second only to Dragons. Even the mighty Basilisk shows its respect to me and mine. But you are too ignorant to know anything other than how to squeak like the pathetic mouse you are!"

Tom tried to grab the Cobra, but she leapt at the boy and Syren.

Draco stumbled back as Oma released her wings and sprang into the air.

"You go too far mouse, you have threatened my Wizard and you shall die!"

Nagini coiled and struck but Oma dodged with ease, laughing at her attempts.

Tom watched the conflict in horror but could do nothing to stop it. He knew Oma had been willing to let the insults slide even though she'd been within her rights to strike the cobra the minute Nagini had entered the room and failed to give her obeisance. She'd gone too far leaping at Draco, however, and Tom knew he was about to lose his long time friend.