Forbidden

~3rd person~

It was almost midnight, everybody at the institute was already fast asleep, except Alec. He was laying awake in his bed staring at the ceiling thinking about a particular someone.

Alec's life wasn't easy, nor was he happy with the way he was living it. He was not just a shadowhunter, he was also the leader of the New York Institute, and with that came great responsibility. Everybody counted on him as a leader and looked to him for answers.

But he wasn't always known as just a leader. Alec was known as the grumpy big brother to Izzy, the stubborn parabatai to Jace, and of course the loyal son to his mother and father Maryse and Robert Lightwood.

As a shadowhunter there are many rules to follow, specifically one of them that Alec isn't a fan of.

Shadowhunters and downworlders -most specifically warlocks- are forbidden to be together.

If a warlock, vampire, Seelie, werewolf, or downworlder of any sort are in a relationship with a shadowhunter then said shadowhunter shall be stripped of his/her runes and banished from the shadow world and brainwashed, never to be let back in again. As for the said downworlder, he/she shall be executed.

He knew the consequences of the situation we're in fact appalling and unfair, he tried everything to stay away from the one he loved most, but failed as a result. He couldn't help that he fell in love with a warlock, most specifically the most powerful one in all of Brooklyn.

He's been hiding it pretty well but has come close to blowing his cover many times.

The only person that knows about Alec's secret is Izzy. She's really the only one that Alec can trust not to judge or snitch. He's still working on telling Jace but with his blabbering mouth he'll blow it and have the clave banish him.

It's half Maryse and Roberts doing. All they care about is the Lightwood name and how respected they are by other high and mighty shadowhunters. As much as they love their son, both have a hard time accepting Alec for being gay. They of course think downworlders are -as they put it- "filthy rotten creatures that should never have been introduced to the earth"

Alec didn't listen to them, he never does. That didn't stop him from arguing about the topic though, careful not to give away the reason why he cared so much. Maryse just dismissed his opinions and kept talking about hers. He could really care less.

Alec was fiddling with his stele when he heard a tap on his window. He looked over and seen Magnus smiling in at him.

Alec quickly got up, first making sure his door was locked then opening the window to let Magnus in.

"Magnus, what are you doing here? We can get caught" he whispered.

"I wanted to see you again" he simply stated climbing in.

Before Alec could argue any longer, Magnus grabbed his shirt by the collar and smashed his lips onto Alec's.

He missed the warmth of Magnus' touch, his lips tasted sweet against his own. He was always worried about getting in trouble but Magnus always managed to clear his mind of any or all problems when he's with him.

"I missed you" Magnus smiled taking a seat on Alec's bed.

"I missed you too" Alec blushed sitting beside him.

Magnus noticed the look on Alec's face wasn't too pleased.

"What's wrong Alexander?" He asked taking hold of his hand.

"Hm? Nothing, why?"

"I can tell when you're upset, please tell me" he replied.

Alec sighed, "it's just that, I dunno...I just wish we didn't have to keep hiding behind closed doors all the time"

"Ya, it would be nice to be free once in awhile" he admitted.

"But we never can, we never will" said Alec, flopping back onto his bed.

"I don't care what the clave has to say about us, I am just glad to be here with you right now" said Magnus, cuddling up next to him.

"But I don't want you to die Magnu-"

"Let's not talk about this right now, hm?" Magnus hummed against his chest.

Alec sighed in defeat, "okay"

Soon they found themselves falling asleep. Magnus snuggled up to Alec, his head on his chest listening to his strong heartbeat while Alec had his arm around the warlock keeping him close.

Sometimes love never plays by the rules. But that's how you know it's true.