**

It was years after he became a hero no one knew about but his loyal house elf..

Regulus Black now walked among the dead, looking at all of those he had left behind including his brother, who was currently falsely blamed for the murder of his best friends and muggles. Regulus wanted his brother to be free, and be with Harry. After so many years of torture his brother had received from their mother, it was all that Regulus wanted to see his brother live. Freedom. He saw everything go down, and nothing angered him more than seeing the one who cause it all run around as his rat form.

Every passing minute, Sirius's belief that his younger brother was a firm supporter of Voldemort and ended up giving his life for his cause hurt Regulus like no other. It was not even close to the pain that his mother had put him through the night before he did what he had to do. He wanted to tell Sirius that he gave his life for Volemort's defeat. He couldn't tell him that, his parents had forbid it and that would be risking Sirius's life. It was night, years after he became a hero. Nobody but his loyal house elf knew the true purpose of his actions. Or at least that's what he thought. He made sure he had kept his plan a secret, took all protocol to do so, but Regulus forgot to make one last sacrifice before his life. The wind had picked up that second. He was alone, and he was cold. As cold and alone a dead person could be. He wanted to change his mind, he wanted to rip the mark on his arm that even continued to follow him through death. He wanted to start over. Regulus wanted to do one more visit before he left town for the day and giving Sirius the company he needed. He walked through the familiar streets, drunks coming out of the pub, grinning as they were drunk and free. Turning to a small alley, he saw the house from where he suddenly stood. It was years after he became a hero, and he saw her turn from a clever teenager to a powerful and strong woman. Her hair was still the same colors, and her eyes the same ocean he allowed himself drown in.

All he wanted was to reach for her.

To apologize.

To take her in his arms.

But he stood and stared. 

Just like in the beginning.

....

Neirda Walters walked around her small cottage, only candles lighting her small kitchen. It was all the light she accepted in her home. It felt like her home was representing how she felt since the last time she saw him. They had argued, Neirda pleading for Regulus to run with her as long as he wouldn't dedicate his life to the dark lord anymore. That horrible night, they had made eye contact. Her blue eyes to his grey ones and that was the last form of contact they had with each other. Even if she craved for more than just a glance.  

The emptiness in her lasted years and she knew that as long as she lived, she was never going to be able to fulfill that empty space in her.

Merlin, did she remember the day Walburga had told her that Regulus Black had given his life for Dark Lord as a coward. She didn't want to believe it, and till this days wants to continue to believe that he had made up an excuse to get rid of her. 

She remembered the nights he would show up at her house, tears streaming down his cheeks and blood dripping from his arm. Her Regulus was no coward, and certainly would not give his future in life and with her away for a wizard who wanting to get rid of his own kind.  They were vivid memories, ones that would always go over the ones she wanted to remember instead.  That night, Neirda cried until her body had no more tears to spill, and her eyes had burned. She wrapped his coat around her and slept, hoping that the news was nothing but unrealistic nightmare but it wasn't.

The coat had recently stopped smelling like him, and the scent had now transferred to her pajamas. It was no surprise to herself that it was the only thing she loved to wear. She, of course, had broken into his room and got a blanket enchanting it so that his scent would never vanish, at least not like the love of her life had. Wrapping herself in the blanket, and looking out the window, she felt her breath hitch, and sat up.

Down in the alley, his gray stared at her. She wanted her mind to be right, that he was standing right outside, staring right though her window. 

Nerida wanted to forgive him

She wanted to love him.

But he vanished once again. 

Leaving her wishing for nothing but him and his silent kisses.