"Since when did you start smoking?" Nerida asked him as they both walked out to the field

"Since when did you start smoking?" Nerida asked him as they both walked out to the field. It was dark out, and while nobody was allowed to be wandering around at that time of nights, the rules didn't necessarily apply to neither of them. 

Regulus looked at her and shrugged as he lit up the cigarette.

"Never thought of you as one to smoke..." Regulus chuckled and blew out smoke before turning to face her.

"I use to do it with Sirius before he left the house." He confessed. "Left a pack in my room before mother disowned him and he disappeared. Last thing I have from him."

"Have you talked to him?" She asked, wondering if he has actually gotten the chance to talk to his older brother. It was very clear to her that in these hard times, Regulus wished that Sirius was still nobody else but his brother.

"He doesn't even care. I'm the bad guy..." Nerida sat on the grass, leaning against her arms as she continued to watch Regulus walk in circles in front of her. "I am the spawn of my parents while he is out there fighting..." He takes a long inhale and after a few seconds finally let out the smoke, covering the view of the Great Lake in smoke. "I saw him."

Nerida raised a brow before leaning against her hands.

Regulus lets out a forced laugh as the cigarette falls from his fingers and into the ground. "He looked healthier."

-

It was just another night that the smoke didn't help Regulus sleep through the night. There was no reason to be asleep when the mark can burn at any time and he was called to serve his Lord. He didn't mind losing sleep. He had conditioned himself to not be bothered any longer.

As long as his parents continued to make him the pride and joy of the Black's family line, all the sacrifice was worth it. It was a constant battle not following the footsteps of his older brother as life got harder and expectations got higher. He knew his girlfriend could see right through his eyes and most likely spot that he was increasingly missing his brother. The constant reminder that Sirius was not coming back for him remained at the back of his mind. A reminder that never would shut up, no matter how much Regulus tried.

The last cigarette of the box was crushed under his hand, the small piece of tabaco reeking his fingers. It felt as the last piece of Sirius was finally gone.

He couldn't help but feel sick on how happy his mother would be once she knew that Sirius really felt dead and far from him. She would smile for the first time in many years. It disgusted him in how accurate he was.

"Black"

And he followed the voice.