[18] Black's Trick

°°°Y/N POV°°°

I watched as Red allowed Keith and the others to fly out of the castle. The thought of them getting hurt because they went to get me was killing me inside. But, I need to let them. I need to trust that they are strong enough to handle themselves. After all, they are the Paladins of Voltron, the Defenders of the Universe.

Thanks to Pidge back tracking the pod they came on, they were set on course for the mouth of the beast – Emperor Zarkon's ship. Arguably the ship with the strongest defense as well as offense.

I knew they were getting close, there was still some sort of connection between my body and whatever I am now. If I could just get close, I think we would be able to become one again. I hope.

My assumptions were proven correct when I heard Pidge speak. "We are closing in on the ship, not much further until we are on their radar."

"Paladins listen up. Pidge, you upgraded your lion's invisibility radius? We are going to need that. Move quickly and quietly, get in, get Y/N, and get out. We only form Voltron if needed." Shiro stated informatively.

I watched as all the lions approached the ship, without recognition. Good, Pidge's invisibility upgrade worked. They all left their lions, and slipped in through the space between the canons that lined the side. Pidge remained in Green in order to keep the invisibility in check.

I need to get closer, Red. Reluctantly, she moved forward towards the ship. Every inch closer, the more I could feel the energy of my body. I'm not truly dead then, I must just be separate from my body. That's a relief.

Red eventually stopped, only inches away from the ship. But I couldn't leave her, at least I wasn't able to before. I was connected to her through our bond. Wait. Can't I just jump from her to my body? That should work, right?

"You can try." Red said.

I need to get closer though. Can you skim around the ship until we are closest to my body?

"Yes." She replied.

I just hope they will be ok.

"Worry about yourself for a change, Y/N." I heard Black say.

I couldn't think of a response, but I knew she was right. I've spent my entire existence worrying about others, and while I would never stop that completely, it is definitely time to let in some concern for my own life. I mean I've already died once? Does this count as twice? I shouldn't let that happen again.

Red was circling the ship, I could feel the energy getting stronger, and then it started weakening. We passed the strongest point, Red. She turned around and inched back. Right...here! She stopped.

I tried to find my body; I could see some sort of energy trail. The only issue is, am I physically able to follow it.

I willed myself forward, as I would do if I was alive. To my astonishment, I was a part of the trail. I wasn't some sort of spirit like I was last time, right now I am just simply energy. Luckily for me though, energy can travel. I followed the predetermined path towards what I assumed was my body.

I made it back to the room I was last in, they hadn't moved my body. That is weird.

"Yes of course I am right. She isn't dead." I heard a voice say. It was Haggar.

How could she possibly tell? Is this why they didn't move me?

"You better be right. We are investing a lot in this otherwise pathetic Altean." Zarkon roared.

I didn't want to get closer to my body, things could go wrong very fast if I were to wake up now. I needed to time it perfectly. One problem: my body was pulling me towards it, and resisting life was difficult.

I suddenly felt a different energy approaching. It was multiple life forms – it was the paladins. Keith. I watched as they opened the doors to this room. So much for quietness and stealth.

"We want Y/N back." I heard Keith say.

"Why would you want her? She is useless dead." Zarkon stated.

"Even though she has passed, she doesn't deserve to be on this ship with you. She should be in the castle." Shiro fired back, voice wavering.

They need to be careful what they say, they can't forget who he is and what he has done. They can't let their feelings blind them.

"You are beginning to get on my nerves. I wasn't planning it, but if you don't leave this instant, I will take Voltron now." Zarkon hissed.

They didn't back down. Zarkon raised a sword at them, threatening to strike. I hope this is a good time for this. I rushed towards my body and merged. It felt weird, I was regaining all my senses. I could feel the cold floor below me, I could finally see out of my eyes. Still way to much purple in here. I could hear better now that I was using real ears. But this was no time to be in a state of wonder and amusement.

I stood up, grabbing the attention of the paladins, but not Zarkon or Haggar who had their backs turned to me.

"Y/N?" Keith questioned, voice full of disbelief.

Zarkon and Haggar immediately turned around at that statement, and grinned evily. Ha, they thought they still had me. Being bound to solely a lion made me stronger. And I even learned a new trick. One of Black's tricks. I rushed forward full tilt and passed through them, continuing my run towards the paladins, who wore startled expressions. And within an instant we were all gone from the ship.

We were home. All of us. I teleported everyone back to the castle. They all just stood there staring at me, shell shocked from what I had just done.

I quickly ran towards Keith and kissed him, it took a few seconds for him to process and return the gesture. As I pulled away I looked up at him, only to find him crying. "I love you too." I said simply. More tears poured out of his eyes. He engulfed me in a tight hug, and soon enough all the other paladins were hugging me too. Allura and Coran ran out of the control room and joined.

I laughed a little. "You guys can't get rid of me that easily."

It really was good to be home. After all, home is where the heart is.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

A/N: Sorry I haven't updated in a while! I could lie and say that I was doing school work, but in reality I've been playing Skyrim a lot lol.

I'm going to try to post as often as I can from here on out, but cross country practices are every day now and I still have summer work I need to get done. 

Have a great day! And thank you all for 9.5K reads!

~Hailey