The Curse of the Black Spot (pt 1)

"We made no signal," The Captain of the ship narrowed his eyes at us. He didn't necessarily make a signal himself-- but the TARDIS picked up a big one around here, so that's why we stood there, on a pirate ship in the middle of nowhere in the 17th century.

"Our sensors picked you up. Ship in distress," The Doctor explained.

"Doctor..." I gave him a look, nudging him on the shoulder, but he only looked at me confused, not understanding.

"Sensors?" The Captain had no idea what he was talking about.

"Yes. Okay," The Doctor turned to me, now understanding what I meant. "Problem word. Seventeenth century. My ship automatically... er... noticed-ish... that your ship was having some bother."

"You're bad at this," I mumbled to the Doctor, before turning back to the Captain. "One of our stowaways on board was a witch, and she told us there was something wrong with this ship, so we came to see."

At this, the Captain nodded slowly, along with the crew. I smiled.

"Ah-- yes, good one," The Doctor nodded at me. "And that's our ship, back there," The Doctor pointed to the TARDIS.

I closed my eyes and groaned in annoyance. "Really, Doctor? You couldn't have just pretended?"

"That big blue crate?" The Captain looked suspicious.

The Doctor snapped and pointed at the Captain.

I sighed heavily.

"Tis more magic, Captain Avery. They're spirits." A crew member spoke quietly. "How else would they have found their way below decks?"

"Multidimensional Engineering," I answered.

Everyone looked at me strangely, no one understanding, except for the Doctor. "So I can't say sensors, but you can say Multidimensional Engineering?"

I threw my hands up in frustration. "Well you already ruined the perfectly good witch thing I had going on! And it's not like you didn't say it anyway."

"Yeah, after you hit me!" The Doctor rubbed a spot on his arm as though he were in a great deal of pain, which I knew he wasn't.

I rolled my eyes. "I did not hit you, it was a light nudge."

"Well maybe you should nudge lighter!"

"Well maybe you should think before you speak!"

"Well maybe you should--"

The Doctor was cut off by Captain Avery, who aimed a pistol right at his face. "You're stowaways! Only explanation." It was apparent that Captain Avery was the type of person who did not change his mind once he decided the truth. "Eight days, we've been stranded here. Becalmed. You must have stowed away before we sailed."

"What do we do with 'em?" A pirate asked, grinning now.

"Oh, I think they deserve our hospitality."

888

The Doctor stood on a plank jutting over the edge of the ship, staring at the deep ocean below him as pirates laughed. "I suppose that laughing like that is in the job description. Can you do the laugh? Check. Grab yourself a parrot, welcome aboard!"

Captain Avery was the only pirate not laughing. "Stocks are low, only one barrel of water remains. We don't need four more empty bellies to fill." He explained. "Take the doxies below to the galley. Set them to work, they won't need much feeding."

Two pirates grabbed Amy and I as he commanded that. "Hey, we are not prostitutes! I mean, no offense to them, but seriously! Stop touching me!" I tried wringing my way out of their grasp, managing to knee one of them and making him double over.