Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten

"What did I do?" Chance gasped as his gun fell with a splash into the river. Chase didn't' spare him a glance or a word as he dropped to his knees, caught Leah in his arms and cradled her against his body.

"You have shot a completely innocent woman. Your sister." Chase replied, deciding that perhaps Chance needed the obvious stated for him. "Oh my God." Chance mumbled before gagging and covering his mouth with his hand.

"She will be fine, it's not serious." Chase assured him quietly. The bullet was far to the side, barely more than a large gouge in her skin. Nothing serious had been damaged. Chase pulled off the red bandana around his neck and held it tight against the wound to help stop the blood loss.

He glanced at Chance and saw the man fall to his knees in the water.

"I shot my sister...." he stated numbly and Chase nodded.

"Yes you did. But you wouldn't have if she wasn't so stubborn. You would have shot me."

"Are you going to kill me now?" Chance asked and Chase shook his head though inside he was contemplating doing just that.

"You did not mean to hurt her. But if she dies then I will do to you what I did to that man." Chance glanced at the dead body in the water. The current had his head pulled back and Chance could see the slit that the Indian had made in his throat. It was deep enough to cut through windpipe and all.

"God forgive me." Chance gasped as he covered his face with his hands. He looked back at Chase with tear filled eyes. "Please help me get her home."

"That home is not her home anymore. Her home is with me. But I will help you get her to your home." Chase replied and then he looked up and laid his hand on his gun.

"What is it?" Chance demanded and his question was answered when armed men appeared on all sides of them with their guns drawn.

Chase's eyes instantly went to Boss.

"What the hell happened here?" Boss demanded and his eyes fell on Petey. "What happened to Petey?"

"What I told him would happen if he ever laid his hands on what was mine again." Chase replied coldly. Boss raised a brow and looked down at Leah in Chase's arms. He could see the worry on Chase's face though he knew the Indian was trying to hide it.

"Who shot her?" Boss asked.

"I did." Chance replied brokenly.

"And who the hell are you?" Boss demanded.

"Her brother." Chance admitted. Boss nodded, stepped forward and then brought the butt of his revolver down hard on the back of Chance's head. The man fell unconscious into the water.

Chase made a move to pull his gun but Boss shook his head.

"Don't even think about it. She'll be dead before you even get one good squeeze of that trigger." Boss warned and Chase relaxed his arm. "You've pushed me too far this time, Chase. You brought this woman here, caused discord among my men, murdered one of my men and led to this man coming here with his law dogs." Chase's eyes widened.

"That's right." Boss said with a snort. "He brought the law with him but they're dead. You could have done a lot of damage to my entire operation. After what I did to your mother I knew I owed you and your father but you've just pushed it too far."

Chase felt his blood run cold in his veins. Slowly he raised his head and met Boss's eyes.

"What are you talking about?" Boss smiled and spit in the water beside Chase.