Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

Chase breathed a sigh of relief when he saw the horses in the distance. He had been worried that he wouldn't find them before nightfall and he wanted to put more distance between Leah and camp before that time.

Though in truth Chase wasn't very worried about being pursued. He had killed Boss's only two men who had been unfailingly loyal. The other men in camp had liked Boss well enough but they wouldn't feel any need to seek vengeance on the mans behalf. Though they would probably shoot Chase if they saw him because of the fire and stampede.

"Is that your horse?" Chance asked as he stared wide-eyed at Blaze who was tossing his head and snorting at their approach.

"Yes." Chase replied simply. He gently put Leah down on her feet and then went to the sacks tied to a pack horse. He began looking through them and smiled when he realized that either Tig or Yancy had managed to get Chase's money from the robbery the day before and place it here.

He pushed it aside and continued to search, growling when he had finished looking through all the bags and realized there were no dresses or underclothes for Leah. He settled for pulling out a clean tunic type shirt meant for him and a pair of lace up buckskin pants.

"Turn around." he ordered Chance and it was clear the man did not appreciate being ordered around.

"I don't exactly think it's proper for you to see her without clothes on when you ain't her husband." he countered. Chase rose to his full height of six and a half feet, a good two inches taller than Chance, and looked down his long nose at the other man.

"I am her husband in every way that matters. All that is lacking is a piece of paper signed by a fat man in robe."

"That piece of paper is pretty damn important and I think our father is gonna expect to see it if he hears you've seen his daughter without her clothes." Chance informed him. Chase opened his mouth to speak again, though he would rather simply shoot Chance and be done with this argument, he knew he could not kill Leah's brother. That would potentially cause some tension between he and Leah.

"Can the two of you please stop arguing?" Leah demanded, her voice weak and tired. "Chance, as badly as I hate to admit it, I am going to need help getting dressed and I would much rather Chase be the one that helps me rather than my brother."

"Father is not going to like this." Chance stated matter of factly and Leah shrugged.

"Father has not liked much of anything I've done since I reached the age of six."

"Leah..."

"Don't you think you've doubted me enough? You doubted me and I ran away to be kidnapped by dangerous outlaws. Thankfully Chase was there to save me. You doubted me again and I ended up shot by your gun. Now you are doubting and questioning what? Whether or not I love Chase? Whether or not he loves me? What father will think? I love you, Chance, but you really need to just leave me alone." Chance let out a long breath and then turned and walked a short distance away.

"You were harsh with him." Chase scolded gently as he slowly helped Leah from her soiled, blood covered clothes. Leah winced with both pain and guilt.

"I have to be, Chase. If I'm not harsh with him and with father then they walk all over me and control my every move. That's just the type of men they are. They aren't bad men but they believe themselves to be the unquestionable bosses of the women in their lives."

"Are you sure you want to go home and subject yourself to both of their judgment and harshness at the same time? Chance could go without you and let your family know you are okay." Chase said as he knelt to examine the deep gash on her side. He rose to his feet and grabbed a canteen of water and Leah gritted her teeth against the pain as he poured the water over the wound to clean it.