Chapter Thirteen

Chapter Thirteen

Leah felt as if the nerves in her stomach was going to eat a hole straight through her skin as she began to recognize the land they were riding over. Thankfully Chance seemed to have taken Chase's words to heart and he hadn't said another word the last two days other than to ask her how she was now and then.

It seemed, however, that he had found his tongue again once the house came into view in the distance and he rode his horse in front of Leah and Chase's. He pulled up to a stop and gave Chase a pointed look.

"I think you should stay here while Leah and I ride in."

"Chance, honestly, this is getting ridiculous. I expected father to act the way you are but I thought you would be a little more understanding."

"Leah, there's things you don't know. Something I should have told you as soon as we made it out of that camp but I just couldn't figure out how..."

"Well then say it now. What's had you acting like such an ass the last couple of days?" Leah asked with annoyance as she ran her fingers through her mares mane.

"It's about...." Chance's words were cut off when a rifle shot echoed in the air. Three sets of eyes flew toward the house and Chance raised his arm.

"Don't shoot us, father!" he exclaimed. Chase watched the man jump on a horse and ride toward them. As he neared, Chase saw that Leah indeed looked much like her father. The same dark hair, cleft chin and green eyes, though her fathers were sharp whereas Leah's were wide and warm.

"Chance?" Paul Gordon stated as he rode closer.

"Yeah, and I got Leah with me." Paul's green eyes widened slightly when he saw his daughter.

"Leah..... You're alive?"

"Of course I am." she replied with a reassuring smile. Paul nodded and then looked at Chase.

"Who are you?"

"Chase Caldwell." he replied, holding out his hand. Paul simply looked at his offered hand and then crossed his arms over his saddle horn.

"Awful white name don't you think?"

"Daddy, don't." Leah snapped. "Chase is a good man. He kept me safe all these weeks." Paul's eyes narrowed as he looked from his daughter to the Indian.

"Where exactly have you been? I was sure you were dead or as good as after being with those men."

"I was with Chase." Leah replied. Before anymore could be said, Sarah Gordon came running from the house.

"Leah!" she exclaimed, as she lifted her skirts and ran as quickly as she could across the dusty ground. Chase jumped from Blaze and helped Leah from her mare, knowing that her side still hurt her quite bad.

Quickly Paul was putting his body between Chase and Leah and leading her away toward her mother. Chase watched and felt fear settling into his gut. He didn't like fear. He had never truly felt it before Leah. He had never had any reason to fear anything. He was faster than most men, tougher than most men and could deal with almost any threat. The thought of death had never bothered him or made him frightened.

But the thought of losing Leah? That made him tremble like a tiny child during the worst of spring storms. He knew that she loved him but what if her family convinced her to give him up? What if they refused to accept him? Could he ask her to leave them once again just for him?

The answer to that question was no. Chase would not force Leah to do anything. If she came with him it would be because she chose to. He would never ask her to make such a sacrifice for him.