Ghost Sea

Uncomfortable, causing or feeling unease or awkwardness. Just like this encounter right now. Maisie, Ray and I all sat in silence interchanging between looking at our phones and each other. Moments before, Mr Clark had called me into his office and assigned Ray, Maisie and I to a study group in order to help him catch up on the work he missed.

"Ray, Clarissa, Clarissa, Ray." Mr Clark chimed gesturing from Ray to me and vice versa, "But I assume you two have already met."

Neither one of said anything and Mr Clark continued speaking.

"Now about that job I was talking to you about." He smiled turning his attention to me.

"You mean the non-paying kind?"

"That's the one." He grinned with way too much gusto, then immediately got down to business. Grabbing a couple of papers from the mess in front of him, an impressive feat actually, he looked at both of us, "So, here's what's going to happen. Clair is going to take you under her wing seeing as you've just started here and missed a lot of classes and need to catch up. And since Clair here has been doing just the same with a fellow transfer student, Maisie - great initiative - by the way, it should not be a problem to add one more to the party."

"Why didn't you ask Maisie, who might I add would've done a stellar job?" I chimed with mock cheer. I saw Ray shift in his seat next to me clearly stifling a laugh. I ignored him and kept my eyes on Mr Clarks blue ones. The most beautiful blue eyes you would ever see.

"But I asked you." he grinned reaching across the desk to tap me on the nose then turned his attention to the papers he had in his hands, " Clair, do you remember the grades you got  the previous semester?"

I winced recalling my not so impressive grades on my last report card. I sunk a little in my chair trying to hide behind my hair.

"But don't think I haven't noticed you busting your ass this term and I couldn't be prouder. But your grades have been fluctuating and I do so truly believe that allowing Ray into your little study group would benefit you, your grades and Maisie. Not to mention Ray here." He tilted his head in Ray's direction and I looked over at Ray, who gave me a half wave in recognition.

" So off you two go." Handing me a copy of Ray's schedule he dismissed us and turned his attention to other things.

And here we were. Fiddlers three. 

Taking a deep breath, I handed Ray a bundle of printouts I had made a few minutes before meeting up with Maisie and tried to maintain an air of professionality when I spoke. 

"These are printouts of notes covering topics we've touched up to now as well as assignments that were given during that period for all your subjects seeing as, for some odd reason," I chuckled before continuing, "our schedules are exactly a like from first to last period." he smirked in response a shiver ran through my nerves, "But Maisie, sweet Maisie here, has a different schedule, so I've taken the liberty to mark off  on your schedule the times that we meet to study during the school day and when we don't to give you time to study on your own."

Our eyes met, green against grey. He was actually amused with all this. As much as I wanted to know his motives, the coward in me suggested to turn in the other direction and never look back. Maybe I can move in with my father, is New York far enough to run from the grim reaper? I doubt it.

"Well, that's it," I announced ending our meeting abruptly and gathered my things. We actually had another fifteen minutes left before the bell rang but I needed to leave and recharge the little strength I had to deal with Ray's presence. Being around him was nerve-racking. I felt the power he possessed, suppressed beneath his skin, rolling off in waves brushing against my skin. Could Maisie feel it, I wonder. I turned to her but if she did she didn't show it. But to be fair, I didn't exactly tell her the death from my recollection was the gorgeous teenage boy sitting with us. That part I kept to myself. She may have taken the other revelations just fine but there was no way I could tell how she would react to this.