Taehyung's Ending - His POV

She was safe, that's all that mattered.

That's what I repeated to myself over and over and over, up each step of the tower.

I held my breath opening the door, hoping the warm lights of the city below would welcome me into its comfort, but the glow seemed hollow and cold. It didn't fill my heart like it had before.

She was gone. She was back where she belonged.

I rubbed my hands together even though they were warm. Seeing her in that black and pink dress, seeing the way she smiled, the way she laughed with the other royal members... she belonged here. She had even handled Jin like a professional. She was incredible.

Stop it, Taehyung. You can't keep her.

That's it. I would let her go. I said it a thousand times to myself before, but I meant it this time. I was going to let her go.

Then two soft arms wrapped around me from behind.

I knew those arms.

"Princess? Is everything all right?"

I turned to her, trying not to stare at her face now that it was so close to mine. What was she doing here anyways? She should have been downstairs, with princes fawning all over her.

"Taehyung? What would happen to you if I decide to become a princess?"

I tried to smile. "I would stay here as their Majesties' assistant. You would have plenty of assistants in your own kingdom."

"I don't want more assistants." she said. "I want to stay with you."

God, if you only knew, [Y/N]...

I ruffled her hair. "I wish I could stay with you too."

"What if I gave up being a princess?"

"Why would you do that?"

"Because I want to stay with you."

I thought I misheard. Her eyes told me I didn't.

She didn't mean...

"You can't give this up for me, [Y/N]." I finally said.

"Why not?"

Because I'm not royalty. You'll lose everything.

"You've worked so hard..."

"I've been a princess for three months." she returned. "It's not like I have a lot invested in this. I thought about it for a long time, Taehyung. I know what I want. I want you."

She put her hands on my waist and that wonderful vanilla scent invaded me once more. If she didn't leave now...

Her voice cut into my thoughts. "Do you want me?"

It felt like my heart was shaking instead of beating. I wanted to say that I wanted her. I wanted to say how much she meant to me. But I couldn't. I couldn't get the words out.

She wasn't mine. I couldn't offer her anything.

"Taehyung... Do you want me?" she asked again.

I stared at her face, her eyes pleading for an answer. Maybe it was the only time I would have the chance to tell her.

"Yes," I whispered.

After a breathless pause, she leaned in.

"Princess," I warned, putting a hand on hers. "You can't. We can't."

"Why not?"

I dipped my head down, brushing my nose against her cheek. "I... I'm afraid if we do... I won't be able to stop."

She inched closer to me. "Then don't."

Did she really mean that?

I brushed my lips against hers, giving her one last chance to change her mind. But it was too late. I couldn't hold back anymore.

I held her tight in my arms, bringing her lips closer to mine. I tried to be gentle at first, but at the sweet taste of her lips, her scent, and the feel of her in my arms, I lost it.

If this was the only time I could kiss her, I was going to give her everything.

After a moment, she pushed her hands against my chest, pulling back.

"I'm sorry," I said, smiling. "But I did warn you."

I brought her back into my arms and put a single kiss under her ear. I didn't want to stop touching her. 

Was she really mine? Could I really keep her?

"You're sure about this?" I asked.

"More than anything." she said, her arms wrapped around my back. "You're the one I fell for."

I held her tighter. She was mine. I couldn't believe it, but she was mine.

 "What to do..." I said. "I think I've fallen for you too."