XIV

This is a really really short chapter, but I wanted to post fast. There's one or two more chapters left of this fic. Hope you guys like it. :)

Louis never opened his eyes again, not even when his babies' cries echoed around the room, needing their mother. Not even as Harry sobbed, face hidden on Louis' stomach, before he looked up with green eyes full of tears at the small babies laying down next to their mother.

"Louis?" Harry called his name again.

Nothing.

"No. No..." Harry cried, not caring that it wasn't proper of a prince to cry the way he was doing.

But how could he not when the man he swore to protect and love had slipped away.

The doctor hurried up to check on Louis, completely ignoring Harry when the prince moved to sit on the bed and pulled Louis on his lap. He cradled his husband like a baby, while their children cried next to them. He tried to push the doctor's hands away. He didn't want anyone to touch his love.

"Your majesty," The doctor spoke up. "He is alive. His heart beats and he is breathing. It must be exhaustion. He needs to rest."

Harry looked at the doctor before finally looking down at Louis. He placed his hand over his chest, then his head when he wanted to hear it himself. It was true. His heart was still beating and upon further inspection, his husband was still breathing. Both were faint, but they were there. Harry couldn't hold it anymore and started crying again, this time holding Louis tighter. He nodded when his mother approached him and took the babies with her to the other side of the room to get them cleaned up and dressed.

He refused to let anybody else in the room and stayed in bed with Louis as the doctor and Lucy cleaned Louis up. He held him while Edith replaced the bedsheets, always kissing his forehead and sometimes his lips. When Louis was finally clean, Harry laid down next to him to guard him as he slept. His mother had already given the servants orders to cook a hearty meal for both of them.

The hours passed slowly and Harry knew their children were hungry, but he didn't have the heart to wake Louis up. Instead, he let Lucy and Edith take care of them after his mother had retired back to her bedroom to give his father the news. When the babies cries started getting louder, Harry finally got up, ignoring his headache, and walked up to Edith. He gently took his daughter in his arms, smiling when he held her in front of him to finally meet her. She stopped crying and instead nibbled on her small fist. Her brother doing the same.

Harry's opinion was maybe biased, but he swore she looked just like her mother. Beautiful just like him. He brought her close to him and held her against his chest, giving her his first ever kiss on the top of her small head. He kissed her again, feeling the soft strands of her hair against his lips. He turned to look at Edith, but his attention quickly focused on Louis who was just waking up after sleeping for hours.

Harry gave his daughter to Edith, then went to Louis who was trying to open his eyes. Louis was pale and had deep dark circles under his eyes. He looked ill, but to Harry, he was still the most beautiful person he had ever seen.

"Love." Harry wrapped his arms around Louis, kissing the top of his head over and over.

"M— My baby..?" Louis' voice was raspy, and he could barely keep his eyes open.

Louis looked around until his gaze settled on Lucy and Edith holding two small babies. Harry nodded at them when they gave him a questioning look, then watched them get up with the babies still in their arms.