Chapter 2

Rose's POV

Greaser?

We never had a greaser before. Which is surprising because I thought we would have more greasers than any other people considering the fights that they have and all the injuries they might have gotten.

I don't know why I'm so surprised to hear that a greaser is here. Aren't I supposed to be a afraid ?

"A greaser? who's gonna take care of him?" I asked with a panicked face, secretly wishing that it's not me who has to take care of him.

"Mark, apparently, he wanted to take care of him," She said with a face that said weird-huh?

Mark was one of the male doctors here in New York Hospital. He's a brave guy, but when it comes to Greasers, well, he doesn't like them, but I really don't know how he's going to react towards them or already reacted.

"Do you think I should go check on him?" Susan asked.

"I don't think that's a good ide-"

"Come on Rose, you know nobody has seen their faces.. let me just take a tiny peek at the-"

"Susan... you don't know what they are capable of" I cut her off. This is sort of getting me angry. I do know that what she said is true, no one has seen their faces but what if we don't go and ask Mark how they looked like? or should we go? who am I kidding Mark won't tell us. He doesn't even want to tell us the name of his cat.

I dragged out my frustrated sigh. "Susan,"

"Rose"

I shot her a glare which in return she mocked back.

"Rose, it's just a little peek," she pinched her fingers together."I'll just act like I'm getting something or I'll just pass by the room and take a look" She explained.

"Ok, but be very careful don't act too suspicious." I said. Who knows what they might say about us when they look at our actions. If they see that we are afraid then they're going to take advantage of it.

Susan smiled and jumped up. But I was quick to stop her little party.

"But aren't you supposed to take care of a patient?" I asked. I thought she didn't have a break until two?

"Oh, can you maybe .." I knew that look that look where she places her hands behind her back and rocks back and forth on her heels, it's the please cover for me? look that I got used to seeing every time there is 'big news' or something 'special'.

"Yes, ok, fine" I sighed

"Yes thank you you're the best! be back in a few!" And before I knew it she was half way through the hall heading towards the stairs.

I began making my way to patient 122, he was an old man who suffers of Alzheimer. He's a nice old man. He gets confused most of the time but he's still my elderly friend.

Right now I'm praying that Susan doesn't make a big fuss about a greaser being in the hospital. Susan would definitely make something up about it.

"Mr.Lopez?," I knocked on the door.

"Come in, come in"

I turned the door knob and walked quietly inside. "I'm here to check on you of course,"

"Ahh yes," Mr.Lopez already knew the procedure about the check ups, so he faced side ways while laying down.

"So how are you doing today?" I asked while patting his back softly to check on his spine to see if anything was misplaced or wrong.

He sighed. "Well, I'm just an old man, and I think it's almost my time" He chewed on his gums where his teeth were missing.

"Oh don't say that, you know we'll take care of yo-" But I didn't get to finish my sentence.

"You, you will take care of me, not them,"

"What do you mean? you have many nurses here that take care of you?" I asked not stopping my actions on checking up on him.

"Oh Rose, I'm an old man, they don't care about me, they don't even ask me how I'm doing... just you" He made a frown.

What? I thought that all the nurses were supposed to do that. I'm not saying they told me to do that because I already knew I was supposed to. But the other nurses were surely told that.

"Mr.Lopez what do you mean?," By now I'm confused.

He sighed. "You know how they check on you like you do?," I nodded. "well they don't exactly do that, they just come in and give me medications that put me to sleep and some of them make me numb."

what?

The nurses don't take care of him? why hasn't he told anyone? This isn't right at all. You can't do that. You can't just give patients medications they don't need.

"But do they give you the medication for a purpose ?"

He closed his eyes and shook his head.

"They never tell me what it's for.. I them I feel fine, but they just give me a cold glare." he chuckled quietly, trying to lighten the mood.

"How long has this been happening?" I questioned in a whisper.

"Almost three years," Three years? three years. And I didn't know.

"Mr.Lopez, well I'm done checking on you, and as always you're good." I've decided to not continue the conversation. I think what he told me is enough information.

"Just get some rest and they will bring your food later." He nodded and didn't say another word as he stared at the ceiling.

As I got out of the room I quickly started walking down the hall to find Laura. And there she was in her desk filing papers and writing letters.

I think I'll talk to her later, besides I do have to think over about the whole medication situation before opening my mouth.

Voices coming from the middle room of the hall made me turn my head. It was the room for new patients.

Oh my god, Susan. She was going to go take a "peek" at the Greaser.

I walked quietly and slowly towards the room trying not to be seen. And surely enough there was voices arguing. And of course it would be Susan.

I decide to knock on the door which was wide open but I could only see Susan, and she was standing next to a curtain, which I'm sure had the Greaser behind it. She quickly shot her head up and saw me. I gave her a what's going on? look. She gave me a nod to encourage me to come in.

"I've had enough of him." She snapped with anger clear in her voice. She stomped out of the room, and I was left there looking at the curtain where I could see a shadow of a body sitting down.