Chapter 4

Rose's POV

I began walking faster and looking the other way, trying to not be seen by the Greasers. But damn, my luck was going well until, "Rose ! Rose wait up!" Mark yelled.

"Slow down Rose you're gonna run over somebody." He chuckled.

"Yeah sorry," I smiled worriedly. All I have to do is say bye and walk away. I thought.

"So where you heading?" He asked nicely. I love Mark as a friend of course but right now if he keeps asking me more questions about random things I'll be sure to be caught by the greasers.

"Just home,you?" The greasers seem to be turning around.

"Well I've got a shift at seven but I'm headed off to work to help them out." That's a good thing he's gonna help out for at least four hours, there barely is any doctors or nurses.

"Well that's good , but Mark I got to go." I smiled nervously.

"Oh! yeah sorry for the hold up but go ahead and go home!" he waved his hands around as if to forget about talking to him. I smiled at him and said goodbye.

The greasers haven't spotted me but are looking in my direction and I'm so close to getting seen. The worst part is that they are crossing the road to get to my side. I'm close to them that I can hear their faint words. "Nah,we're good" "You sure? 'Cause I don't know how much you can go without getting caught"

That's all I'm able to hear when I notice that one of their voices belongs to Harry. And by the time I've recognized his voice I can tell that when their chitchat stopped it was because he spotted me.

"Well, well,well Ms.Roselyn? I didn't know you were out and about this early off of your shift." Harry said. It is rare to find a nurse off their shift this early.

I stayed silent and turned my head away.

"Shy aren't ya?" The greaser next to Harry said.

"She's a pretty gal mate where did you find her?" Another grease said.

"I found her in the hospital where fucking Shawn left me at," Harry said. Found me? I'm not a dog.

"Can you please move so I can go home?" I said. But my voice cracked in between that made me sound pathetic and scared.

"Walking? where's your car, baby?" Harry said.

"I don't have one." I muttered. At least they won't break into my car if I actually had one.

"Aww that's too bad, I would give you a ride but , you know, I wouldn't be taking you to your house." They all began to laugh while Harry smirked.

***

Twenty five minutes of walking and I finally got home. Running into the Greasers scared me. After a lot of pleases to let me go they finally left me but on one condition, that they would see me again

I got home and locked the doors behind me. No ones home. Work day for my aunt and uncle.

After cleaning the house and changing to another pair of clothes, I got my money and was ready to head out and buy my school supplies.

I am a bit tired but I got to get those supplies before the school year starts. Tomorrow I won't have time because I have to recover the money I have spent on the supplies for food. And the next few days, well I'll see what's going to go on.

As I walked on the streets of New York and saw wealthy people with popular cars and clothes, I wondered how they got that much money to buy that? well of course they were born in a wealthy family, but I wasn't lucky enough, I was born in a good family, but not so great.

Finally making it to the store I opened the door and a bell rang on top of my head, didn't cause any attention, it's just another customer.

"Rose! how you doing honey?" Bella, another elderly friend I have piped up, wow I do have a lot of elderly people as friends. She knows me very well due to the fact I come here many times to get supplies for my family but I don't come here all the time, you know why. Lack of money.

"I would say I'm good but I'm a bit tired, how about you Bella?"

"Fine, I'm fine," She said sighing and cleaning her hands on her apron."You do look very tired dear, what's wrong?"

Sighing I replied, "Nothing, it's just... school is starting next week and I'm not prepared, I've been working my butt off the whole summer and my aunt and uncle are stressed."

"Well life is hard, gotta live with it, you know?" She replied.

I got my supplies and was paying Bella the money for it 'till she asked, "So Rose you're a teenage girl. Any special boys?" She placed her elbows on the counter and her hands under her chin. She's such a gossip lady but not as much as Susan.

I giggled. "No Bella, no boys..."

"Aww that's to bad, I want to meet one already." She said smiling.

"I will find a boy one day after I'm done with all the work I have."

"Ok young lady, but I don't want any of those filthy greasers in your life, you know those boys aren't good." No greasers? Got it.

"Don't want them stealing all your goods alright?" Bella questioned sternly. I nodded.

"Alright?" She repeated loudly.

"Yes ma'am." I saluted. I gotta keep my promise now.