Friday Night Lights [2/2]

It was halftime and the cheer team was on the field performing their routine. Nisa was extremely proud of herself; all of her girls were remembering their choreography and the routine was coming along seamlessly and the crowd was eating it up. It was time for the final stunt pyramid. She stood between Ashley and Sara, her bases, placing her hands on their shoulders. As they lifted her up she raised her arms in a "V", raising her foot to her knee. The crowd went wild. Then after a count of two, she transitioned, putting her right foot back into Sarah's outstretched hand and holding out her own hand to catch Jessie's foot for the wolf wall. She frowned after a moment, not feeling Jessie's sneaker make contact with her palm. There was another surge of cheering from the crowd. She glanced at her out of the corner of her eye to see Jessie doing her own thing- pulling her leg into a scale. Though the crowd was loving it, Nisa was infuriated. The girls dismounted and waved to the crowd before jogging back to the bleachers.

"What the hell was that Jessie?" Nisa screeched as soon as the squad was seated.

"I told you that you should let me do my scale! I told you I had it, obviously the crowd thought so too," she said, smiling. The rest of the girls were all silent, watching the interaction.

"We agreed we were going to do the wolf wall. It's what we practiced!" Nisa was fuming.

Jessie shrugged.

All eyes were on Nisa, waiting to see what she would do. She was conflicted; Jessie was her friend - true- but as cheer captain Nisa had to stand firm. It had been an uphill battle getting the position - she'd had to fight tooth and nail to get more score more votes than Jessie, who had put up a good fight. So she had to put her foot down.

"Jess there's no I in squad. You could've put someone in danger going off routine like that. We can't have that kind of energy. I'm going to have to have to bench you for the next few games."

"Are you fucking serious Nisa?"

"I'm sorry Jess I-"

"God you suck!" she shouted, getting up and running out of the bleachers.

"Good call Nisa," said Sydney who was sitting closest to her. "Jess is a real bitch. She doesn't care about anyone but herself."

"Total bitch," some of the girls chimed in.

Part of Nisa felt guilty watching Jess leave the stands but mainly she felt good. Her squad was praising her - they respected her. She was on top.

At the end of game the cheerleaders ran out to the field. Isaiah scooped Nisa up in a tight embrace, planting a kiss on her lips.

"Great game," Nisa said, wrapping her arms around his neck. It had been a close game, but the Everglades came out on top - 20 to 14.

"It was wasn't it," Isaiah grinned cockily. Then he leaned in towards her ear and whispered, "I can't wait to celebrate the win later tonight."

Nisa's stomach dropped as she realized that when he said "celebrate", he wasn't referring to Scott's party. Isaiah was Nisa's first kiss, first boyfriend, and she wanted her first time to be with him. But she hadn't told him yet that it would be her first and the thought of having that conversation had her stomach in knots.

"Ready to go?" Scott asked. The whole team was watching the cuddled up couple.

"Right now?" Nisa asked as the couple untangled themselves, worried about what she was going to tell her aunt. She thought that she'd be able to go home first, have some time to think of an excuse.

"Yep, I got a few kegs in the back of my truck and everything at the house is set and ready to go. We just gotta hit the locker room and we'll be set to go."