chapter 8

*The Boys POV*

Victor could hardly sit still as he waited for the rest of his brothers to arrive at his home. It was early in the morning, but Victor had informed them the night before that he wanted to speak with them and Mr. Blackbourne had as well. They were only waiting on Sean, Kota, and Nathan at the moment, but Victor felt like he had been waiting an eternity even if it had only been around 40 minutes.

Down the hall from his den, sleeping peacefully, was sweet, innocent Sang Sorenson. Victor hadn’t had the heart to wake her up when he got up, and thought it best to let her get some sleep. After what she had been through in the past couple days, he thought that she deserved it.

“Victor,” Luke said, a serious look on his face. He was obviously worried about why they had called a meeting so early and as to why Victor looked so shattered. “What happened?”

Victor only shook his head. He wasn’t so sure he could get through telling them what happened without exploding or crying. He hated that Sang had to suffer what most him and his brothers had to suffer through as well, and even more so, he hated the fact that she felt like she wasn’t good enough because of it. He hadn’t been lying when he told her that he thought that she was the best.

He could tell that it would take time to erase the damage that her mother had done, but he wanted to try to ease the pain he saw burrowed in her soul, and he suspected that as soon as his brothers were aware of the truth, they too would want to try.

All of them had had to grow up quick, and had to put up a tough exterior. But when they were around Sang, it was easy to let their facades drop and to let her in. She was sugary sweet, but also tough, as seen when she fought with her older brother. The words that Zain had spat at his sister was unforgiving, and Victor knew that he was not the only one out of his family that had wanted to punch him for it.

“Vic,” Nathan gently nudged Victor, a concerned look growing in his eyes. Victor blinked several times, shocked that he had got so caught up in his thoughts that he had missed the arrival of the rest of his brothers. “You okay?”

“I’m fine,” Victor sighed then looked over at Mr. Blackbourne. “But we have something to tell you about Sang. You all know about the strained relationship between her and her oldest brother, but her relationship with her mother isn’t the best either... Owen, would you like to tell them?”

Mr. Blackbourne took a deep breath then straightened up in his seat, preparing to tell them what they had witnessed as well as preparing for their reactions that would most certainly be violent. He had to keep them subdued though; he wouldn’t want their shouts to wake up Sang. Quietly, he dove into the story and watched as each word caused their anger to grow.

As expected, the room exploded in shouts.

“You’ve got to be fucking kidding me!” North exclaimed at the end of it, pushing himself out of his seat and beginning to pace. “She doesn’t deserve this shit!”

“No wonder she’s got so much damn anxiety,” Silas grumbled, looking nearly heartbroken for the girl he had begun to care for deeply.

“Quiet!” Victor immediately tried to silence his friends, his eyes wide. “She’s right down the hall. You’ll wake her.”

At that, all of them froze and instantly silenced, their eyes sliding over to look at the hall. For nearly a moment, no one breathed, afraid that their outburst had woken the angel. When no sounds came from Victor’s room, they relaxed, but remained heated with anger.

“What can we do about it?” Kota asked, attempting to keep a cool head, though he wanted nothing more than to steal Sang away from her family in order to protect her battered heart. He was the most sensible of the group, but his temper could easily be broken if need be. There was a dark side to every boy in that room, and Sang’s family was bringing it out in them.