Chapter 1. Closer

It was a normal day for the team. They'd been working on their research. Ever since they saved New York, which was a year ago, they'd been trying to find out what 'Zuul' was. They still had no idea though. There were a few missions, but they turned out to be completely worthless. Just people who thought they saw or heard a ghost and it turned out to be a rat or something like that.

Holtzmann was upstairs, she basically claimed the whole floor. But Erin earned some space there too. Erin was working on some formulas. She was busy, and seemed to be a little frustrated. It didn't really seem to work out. Holtz was in the back of the room, just staring at Erin. "Ugh, this isn't working'", Erin complained. She looked at Holtzmann. She saw that Holtz was still staring at her. She got used to it, but somehow, every time she liked it a little bit more. She felt that she was blushing. "Eh, Holtz, what's up with that machine, did you finish it?" "Yeah, I added some pretty cool stuff..." And she started talking about all kinds of science-ish stuff. Then she went on and on about how it worked.

"Hey, Holtz, Gilbert!" It was Patty, coming up the stairs. "The mayor's assistend called, he wants to speak to us. Abby and I are going, so both of you can stay here." said, "Oh, but can yall stay downstairs? Kevin couldn't come to work today and we need you to be able pick up the phone if it rings." "Of course, I can stay downstairs, I needed a break anyway." "Fine, bye!" Patty went down stairs and she and Abby left. Erin walked upon the stairs. She turnt. "Are you coming with me?" "Uhh, yeah" Holtz stuttered. Erin and Holtz had been spending more time together and they got much closer. Erin liked talking with Holtzmann, but as soon as she would ask about her childhood, Holtz always changed the subject...

Erin and Holtzman went downstairs. Erin took place after Kevin's desk. "Wow, Kevin really keeps his shirtless pictures framed at his desk?!" "How's the crush?" Holtz asked. "Ehh, what? What do you mean?" "Come on, you used to have this major crush on Kevin." "Oh, yeah, that's over." "Really?" Holtzmann's heart skipped a beat. "Yeah, he's cute, but... Not really my type. And I'm kinda done with men after the break up with my boyfriend.." "Lucky me" Holtz thought. "Anyway, thank you for being such a good friend for me Jillian." Erin called Holtzmann Jillian. Holtzmann prefered to be called Holtz, Holtzy or Holtzmann. Sometimes Abby called her Jillian, but only Erin called her like that all the time now. "No problem."

"So..." Erin pressed her lips together, trying to find a subject to bring up. That was harder than she thought, as she was staring into the blonde scientist's deep blue eyes. She shook her head, knowing that she'd been staring for a bit too long. She blushed and quickly walked to the couch that they had put in front of Kevin's desk and sat down. Holtzmann did the same and took place next to her. "You know..." Holtzmann started talking "...I've never known them." Erin looked puzzled. "My family." Holtz continued. "You've opened up about yours and we've had such good conversations lately, I thought it'd be fair to just tell you." Holtzmann looked down on the floor while playing with a button from her jacket. She seemed nervous. "If you want to, you can tell me everything" Erin laid her hand on Holtzy's shoulder. The blonde's head turned and she looked into the brunette's eyes. Erin quickly put her hand on her lap. "Anyway, do you want to continue your story?" "Oh, yeah. So, I've never known my family. I grew up in an orphanage. I was born to my mother, no idea where my dad was or is, together with my twin sister." Erin's jaw dropped. Jillian calmly continued her story. "I know that my mom gave me to the orphanage for my own safety. Only I went there, because quickly after our birth my sister died." "Oh my gosh..." Erin stumbled. "Well, I've lived with it for thirty years, so I had to tell someone. I don't really like talking about it, it makes me emotional and I don't like that." Jillia said that very rapidly, just like she did when they were in that bar, the day after they'd saved New York. Suddenly, the phone rang. Erin jumped up and walked to the phone. "Dr. Erin Gilbert, Ghostbusters, how can I help you? Oh.. We'll be there as soon as possible. Okay, bye." Erin hung up the phone. Jillian, you get the jumpsuits and proton packs, I'll call Abby and Patty. We have a mission."