Chapter Thirty-Three

James padded up to her. "Hey, you okay?"

The clowder had moved up in their territory, into the rotten wooden building that was so, so special to James and Snowflake. Three days had passed. Carrot was bound to have her kittens soon. The rain had been pouring down non-stop.

"Yeah, fine," Snowflake replied.

James dropped a soggy mouse at her paws. "Sorry that it's wet," he whimpered. "It's all we've got."

Snowflake nodded. "It's fine. Thank you."

James smiled and padded away.

Sunshine let out a miserable wail. "Skunk has gone missing and I haven't been dry in days!"

Red gave his daughter's forehead a comforting lick. "We all haven't been dry, sweetie, but it'll be okay."

Sunshine only frowned.

Snowflake stood up after eating her mouse. "I'm going for a walk," she announced.

James ran over to her and nudged her. "Let me come with you."

"No, I want to go alone," She replied, suddenly feeling guilty.

James nodded and licked her ear. "Be careful."

"I will," Snowflake purred, and trotted outside. She padded until she was at the edge of the risen water. She scanned the waves until she saw the roof of the brick building.

Underwater.

Just then she felt something nudge her paw. She looked down and was horrified by what she saw.

Mud's soggy, wet, lifeless body had washed up right next to her.

Snowflake shook her head. "No, no," she whispered. She looed up to the gray sky and let out a yowl. For once, she was glad Glow wasn't here.

What if Glow had seen something as horrible as this, and thought the same thing?

"Snowflake! What's wrong?" Bird's voice called as the brown tabby queen raced over. She paused once she saw Mud's body.

"It washed up.. Here.. He.." Snowflake couldn't say words properly.

Bird nodded. "The Ghostcats wanted him. He is with Autumn now."

Snowflake started to shake. Not because Mud was dead, but because what Bird told her reminded her too much of what Glow told her when they were kittens.

Thank you. I can feel Autumn watching over me. Ghostcats cluster together with their loved ones in clouds during the day, and spread out into stars at night. She watches over me day and night.

Now Mud was with Autumn. They would cluster together as clouds during the day, and spread out from each other into stars at night. Now, Mud would help Autumn watch over Glow, day and night.

Snowflake padded back to the wooden building with Bird, who helped her carry Mud's body.