98) For Your Eyes Only

"Recovering from suffering is not like recovering from a disease. Many people don't come out healed; they come out different."
-David Brooks

***

Robb was standing behind a crowd of people, dressed in all black. He had his hands inside his pockets and slightly tearful eyes on a blonde woman as she spoke about how she loved her daughter.

Her every word made Robb's heart ache more.

The nearby people wiped their eyes as well as the woman speaking broke off mid sentence as she couldn't speak more.

The late morning sun shone warmly on the green grass and the birds chirped, it was another normal day. But not for these people.

Robb walked over to the lady and hugged her. "I'm sorry, Mrs McCartney." He said slowly.

The lady closed her eyes and hugged him back. "I'd do anything, Robb." She cried. "I'll even trade our places.. she's just a baby.."

A tear fell down his cheek as he kept his stare on the coffin. "Rachel was my pillar. She's been royally escorted to heaven."

....

Dallas, Texas

"You don't believe them, do you?" Alyssa glanced at Levi.

He wasn't looking at her. His gaze was set on the horizon. The sunlight made his gray eyes seem like endless storms. Little did she know, that's how he felt inside too.

A storm.

"I don't know what to think." He shrugged.

"C'mon, now you're talking like me when I was chained up. You know what to think, because you are thinking it."

"I don't want to think it. I don't like it."

"Then don't think about it. Think about the possibility that you like."

He turned to face her and grabbed her hand. "I'm.. thrilled.. to have you back and safe with me, Alyssa."

She smirked. "Aw, I thought I was Lisa."

"Did you just quote yourself from when you came to kill me?"

"Maybe.. is it a bad thing? I can't decide. Why don't you brainwash me into it?" She raised her eyebrows and wiggled her fingers to give a dramatic and spooky effect.

"It's not funny, Alyssa." He glared at her, in all seriousness.

She laughed. "The look on your face.. it's priceless!"

He looked away from her as she continued laughing.

"Okay, I'm sorry." She finally sobered up. "I just want you to know that you're being pathetic. You didn't make me into something I'm not. Stop worrying."

"You're not exactly the right person to be the judge of that."

"Well, who else will know me better than me?"

"You but you're not you, that's the problem!"

"I am me!"

"What if this me isn't Alyssa!?"

"But I literally am me? God, Levi, you're over thinking. Does it matter? A person doesn't remain the same all their life.. everyone changes every second.."

"What I did to you-"

"Was necessary! I would've butchered every single realm. Levi, I never thanked you properly. I was scared of myself, of the thoughts I was having, of the things that gave me pleasure. That wasn't the whole me.. This is."