103) Second Life

"What greater punishment is there than life when you've lost everything that made it worth living?"
-William Shakespeare

***

A knock on the door made Crystal get out from the bed and open it. She had many books lying around in her room.

"Robb, hi." She smiled.

"Hey" he smiled back and asked, "mind if I come in?"

She moved aside. "No, of course not. This is your home."

They walked in and he sat down on a chair while she made herself comfortable amongst her books.

"I see you got the books I sent." Robb observed.

"Yes, I did. So far I've read only three."

"That's fast for just one night. I'm sorry I didn't come back to you after Renee took you away. I hope she didn't bother you.."

"No, she's been really helpful."

"She does seem happy to have you around. I think she already loves you."

Crystal laughed. "That's a nice thought."

"So," he began, "the reason I couldn't come to you earlier is because I was with Ian. The doctors had arrived and he has been successfully healed to the point where he's no longer in danger."

Crystal nodded. "That's a relief."

"Now that he's almost okay, he wants to address the people and help mother and father handle the chaos they have in their hands."

"The Angels closing the doors on huma- us.. on us." She corrected herself.

"Yeah.."

"What about the other tribes? Alyssa and Levi's? How are they handling it?"

"I haven't talked to any of them. All I know, and need to know, is that they're both alive. I'm more required here than to extract information on them."

"So they don't even know I'm alive?"

"I don't think so. Crystal, I had to work with them and I did, it was just to get us all out and look.. we all are. There was never anything more to it. Besides, they haven't reached out either. I'm sure they're busy with their own tribes."

"Okay.. but I would like to at least talk to them once things here are settled. I want to know what exactly happened in that cabin before you cast the breaking spell."

"When Levi had gone inside and.. Rachel.. and I were preparing the spell, one of the Angels went in. I heard them talking about some channeling kinda thing."

Crystal lips parted. "A-Are you sure you heard channeling?"

He nodded.

"Oh no.."

"What's wrong?"

"Channeling power from other Angels links them all together. The Angel who tried to hold Aradia off must've died. Killing one of us is easy for her. I didn't know that Angel was channeling though I should've, how else would he have held her off for so long?"

"Are you saying that because of channeling energy from others-"

"The other Angels must've died along with him."

"Every single one who was present there.. who channelled their power.. that's quite a lot."

"Of course, even in death, Aradia went with an Angel massacre." Crystal shook her head sadly. "They abandoned me.. but they were still my family.. and so many of them.. died.."