T h r e e

I saw her in the hallway today, her nose bleeding heavily. I suspected that she got beaten up by Megan and her friends. I wanted to say something to her, but I hesitated. Instead, I looked into her eyes, it was only for one second and you know what I saw?

Nothing.

Life is slowly slipping out of her sad, lonely, guarded, green eyes. I desperately want to help, but my own cowardly nature holds me back.

I saw her in the bathroom today, her arms covered with bruises and her wrists covered with cuts. Somehow, I just knew those cuts weren't just cuts. Those cuts were the demons she fought every single day. Those cuts were her insecurities, her deepest fears, and her lonely nights. Those cuts were the insults she had received and the emotions she couldn't contain. They were a part of her and were what she had become.

I stared at her in class today. She didn't utter a single word to anyone, except for an occasional hello to the teacher in the start of the class. Suddenly, out of nowhere, she turned around and her eyes found mine. That's when I felt it. Guilt curling in my stomach and I felt my heart tear in two.

When the bell rang, I finally found some confidence and bravery, and I went up to her.

"Are you all right?"

"I'm fine." Lena whispered quietly, looking at the ground.

"It's okay to sometimes not be okay." I replied.

"What do you mean?"

"I saw the bruises Megan gave you. I just want to say I'm sorry." I said, "But those cuts?"

"Since when do you care?"

"Because I did it to myself once. You have to stop, because you are important in this world, Lena. You are important to me."

And with that, I walked out of the room, leaving a bewildered Lena Luthor behind me.