Preface

It was a normal spring Thursday evening for high schooler Drew Reese - standing in the dugout at her high school baseball field, chewing Big League Chew and explaining to the players why they suck. Drew may be a seventeen year old girl, but she was bold and had no problem bluntly telling the senior boys they need to shape up, the same senior boys the other girls her age could hardly squeak out a "Hi" to. 

Drew stood, leaning on the dugout wall, dressed in her unflattering baseball uniform with North High Tigers displayed on the front and Bat Boy on the back, but her long blonde ponytail made it look more like Ba    oy. The tomboy chomped on her gum, her arms crossed, as she watched the batter's, Brantley Symons, number fifteen and first baseman for the Tigers, every move. It was the seventh inning and the Tigers were up one. The opposing pitcher was preparing for the 3-2 pitch, which ended up being a curveball. It was deamed a ball and Symons walked, dropping his bat. It rolled towards the dugout and Drew bent over to pick it up, bringing it back into the dugout. Nick Wilson followed Symons. Nick was the sweetheart of the team and always thanked Drew for helping out. Wilson was the catcher, number eight, and, ironically, the best friend of Tyler Madden, the cockiest guy on the team who also happened to the pitcher.

Like always, Drew handed Nick his bat with a "Don't suck, Wilson" and Wilson replied with his trademark grin and a sincere "Thanks, Reese." 

Once again, Drew went back to leaning on the dugout wall and watching the batter. As much as she wanted to yell at the ump or tell Wilson he actually had to make contact with the ball, she with held her comments, knowing the consquecens. Last month, she got in trouble for causing a scene and actually ended up being ejected - a female bat boy being ejected, crazy, right? So, now, she kept her mouth shut and internaly cussed them out. 

Drew heard the sound of the ball making contact with Wilson's bat and watched the ball head to the outfield. Nick dropped - well, threw - his bat, running for first, then rounding towards second, his eyes on the ball. The outfielders ran towards the fence, hoping to catch the ball and get it out, but neither of the three could manage to do so and the ball soared over the fence.