Chapter 9

Tris P.O.V

The next morning I wake up at 7 to people moving around me. I sit up and I'm in an unfamiliar place. I then realize I'm in the dorm and get up to get dressed. I quickly get dressed into a tank top and shorts, then wait for Uriah. Once he is ready, we walk down to breakfast together.

We get our food and we sit down next to Christina and an Erudite transfer. He introduces himself as Will. We talk for the rest of breakfast, then go down to training. We get to the training room and Four and Eric are standing next to each other, not talking. They wait for everyone to quiet down, then Eric starts talking.

"Initiates. This year Dauntless born and transfers will be training together. Four here, will instruct you. I will be here periodically to check up on how you're doing. At the end of stage 1, four of you will be leaving us."

"What do you mean leaving?" I hear a girl say from the back.

"If you're not good enough, we don't see any more point in keeping you. You'll become factionless. At the end of initiation, only 10 of you will become members."

"Why didn't you tell us about this?" I hear someone else say.

"Why? Would you have chosen differently? Out of fear?" Eric says, pausing dramatically between each sentence. "If so, then you may as well leave now, you won't fit in here"

The initiates all fall quiet. Everyone looks around, making their guesses of who will be cut.

"Alright" Four yells, startling everyone. "Everyone grab a gun and get in front of a target." We all scramble to get a gun and then to get a target. I end up between The Erudite transfer, Will and a Candor transfer.

I start shooting at the target and hit mostly centers. Shooting isn't my strong suit. Anytime I would go to practice shooting, my mom would catch me and not let me go.

The Candor boy next to me is hitting usually in the middle ring, not the edge, but not the center. He seems to get very frustrated by this.

After a while of shooting Four tells us to stop and bring the guns back to him. We all quickly do, then head to lunch. I walk with Christina and Will. We get our food, then sit at a table. Moments after we sit down, Uriah slides in next to me, then Marlene and Lynn across from him.

"So How has your time in Dauntless been so far?" Marlene asks Will and Christina.

"Exhausting." Christina says, sighing. "Is this what it's like all the time?"

"I mean, kind of" Lynn says "they're training us to be ready for any kind of emergency that could happen."

"Yeah, like there's going to be a war anytime soon." Uriah says.

"It's possible, my mom said that the Erudite are getting tired of not being in charge." Marlene says.

"Like the Erudites can do anything to hurt anyone. I'd be surprised if any of them could hold a gun." Lynn says, then looks at Will. "I mean, all you guys do is like, read." Will nods in agreement.

"The Erudite are harmless, sure they might want more power, but they can't do anything about it." Will says.

After lunch, we finish up training for the day with knife throwing. I throw mostly bullseyes and get pretty bored by the time Four tells us to stop.  Four tells us to rest up for tomorrow, as we will start fighting.

Uriah and I get dinner with our mom that night, filling her in on how initiation has been going. After dinner we head back to the dormitories where I find Christina and Will sitting together. We join them and hang out for the rest of the night.

We all go to bed early that night, but I can't sleep. I know I'm a good fighter, I'm strong and fast. But who knows who I'm going to be against. I'm pretty small, a lot of the initiates have quite a bit of height and weight on me. I try to push those thoughts out of my head and try to get some sleep