One

Luke got up out of bed, brushed his teeth with minimal effort, and pulled a beanie over his messy hair, not bothered to style it properly. Clothes were thrown on sluggishly as he jogged down the stairs, grabbing something to eat and heading out the door. to his mum. She was waiting for him in the car, as per usual.

His mum being a maths teacher at his own school had its perks, he guessed. Like, when he got in any sort of trouble, she could usually sort it out with a click of her fingers, which was handy. Don't get him wrong, though, it also had its drawbacks - like the way she constantly checked up on him. Most teenagers could escape their parents for a few hours, while they were at school, but that's not a luxury that Luke had. He was just grateful she wasn't his maths teacher.

"Luke, you're going to make us both late," his mum grumbled at him, as he carelessly threw his bag into the back of her car.

"We've never been late before, and we won't be late today," he replied monotonously, sliding into the passenger seat.

She shook her head slightly at his early-morning attitude, but he quickly connected his phone to the car radio and turned on his music to stop any further complaints from her. The ten-minute journey to school consisted of his mum constantly lowering the volume of the music, and Luke turning it all the way back up again, while receiving an unamused look - the way it was every morning.

Once at school, his mum gave him a kiss on the cheek, ignoring his protests and attempt at evading it, and grinned smugly at his embarrassment as they parted ways for the day. He walked quietly through the halls, greeting friends with a small smile and a 'Hey, bro,' every couple of steps, until he reached his locker area.

He swung the locker door open and swapped the unneeded books in his bag for the ones that would be required for the next few classes. He took a glance in the small mirror on the inside of the locker door, (which he, personally, believed the school had installed to further destroy students' egos by reminding them how shit they looked on school mornings), taking a few seconds to pull strands of dishevelled hair out of his eyes,when he noticed a figure behind him in the mirror.

He turned around, a smile appearing on his face as the familiar blonde-haired, blue-eyed girl neared.

"Hey, Ellie," he greeted, closing his locker door behind him.

He was met with a grunt and an outstretched palm.

"You are not allowed to be happy this early in the morning," she complained, opening her locker, which lay a few rows down from Luke's.

He leaned up against one of the lockers next to it and crossed his arms.

"Had a shit morning, have we?" he questioned in an entertained tone.

She stepped back from her locker, and turned to face him with an unamused look.

"I slept in and look like shit, and this piece-of-crap uniform isn't helping," she groaned.

Luke couldn't help but let out a short laugh. It was true, the turquoise jumper, plaid skirt and knee-high white socks were pretty damn awful.

When he glanced back up, he was met by her eyes and she had a faint little smile pursed across her lips.

"What are you looking at, loser?" She teased, giving him a little punch in the arm.

"Just admiring your hideosity," he said with a small chuckle.

She narrowed her eyes at him and he shrugged his shoulders nonchalantly.

"The principal is going to give you hell if he sees you with that beanie, Luke," she warned, as she gathered her maths and chemistry textbooks in her arms.