III. Helian

Aawk's description of Diwes didn't do it justice. As the trading authority of all of Ethea, it always bustled with activity. People packed the streets, all dressed in vibrant colors, laughter smiled on every face he passed, money flowed from one hand to another or an object of value traded for a yard of cloth. No space was unused: every building was flush against the side of another, were in perfect lines, and all were a metallic golden color, reflecting the bright sun. The walls and windows could angle in a way not to blind customers or passersby. Now Helian understood what Aawk had meant, saying the city was a sun itself: the very walls were solar panels.

Every flag, banner, and design in the stone under his feet bore a blazing sun. Some even had the Element of Fire and Earth underneath it. Diwes portrayed their pride in being in the land of the Sun.

Helian and Zelenia walked by a fountain with its large centerpiece as a sun and water spewing from its rays. Children splashed in it to keep cool.

"They love proclaiming their heritage, don't they?" Helian said.

Zelenia chuckled. "Of course; they are the prideful peoples of Dantia—unmatched in their unwavering confidence. You are one of them."

His attention turned back to the wide street they were traveling so he wouldn't bump into anyone. Personally, he wouldn't mind bumping into someone just so they would notice his features and realize he was the Sun. But he would wait until receiving his armor at the Temple of the Sun before calling attention to himself. He wanted everyone to know for certain whom he was and not just brush his characteristics off for coincidences.

He studied another banner with the sun advertising the Temple, leading them toward it. "Are the people of the Moon like this?"

"I do not believe so, even though I have never truly been to Caelestis. I'm sure we are not this vocal; I am withdrawn and enjoy privacy, so I believe we are all the same."

He looked at her. "Is Lewana not a part of Caelestis?"

"In a manner of speaking, it is, but it is not truly part of the mainland. The power of the Moon resides there, so many older and frail people are enticed to retire to the island for healing."

"Have you always lived there?"

"Yes; I have never stepped foot off the island until now."

"Uncomfortable?"

She took a moment to reply. "I wouldn't use quite so strong a word; it is more... unfamiliar, being out of a place so in tune to the Moon."

Someone slipped in front of them to duck into a store, but not without giving Zelenia a curious glance. She was surely unlike any visitor to Diwes. Most consisted of the peoples of Dantia, but they were frequently visited by people of the lands of Light and Air. Next in frequency were the peoples of Water and Fire, then below that were the green-skinned beasts of Elemonsina, the land of Earth. Rarely did any from the land of Spirit visit and never did a child of the Moon.

"So, I will feel the same whenever we leave Dantia?" he asked.

"Well, I don't think it will be as strong as a feeling when we are in a land of your Element. Now when we are in mine, yes, you will feel the same."

At the city square, the sea of people thinned as they made their way around the single building set into the middle, branching off toward more vendors and shops. The Temple of the Sun wasn't of importance to them.

The temple both belonged in the middle of the city and didn't; the structure looked to have once been lost in a desert and had been uprooted. The enormous stone blocks were the color of sand, beaten by the heat of the sun and whipped into shape by powerful gusts of grainy sand.